PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do I use soya mince?

Just read the Quinoa thread and it reminded me that I have a packet of soya mince in the cupboard that I've been too frightened to use not knowing what it tastes like.

Is it a good substitute for Quorn/mince for spaghetti bolognese/chilli etc or does it taste yuk?
“A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey

Comments

• Austin_Allegro
    Austin_Allegro Posts: 1,462
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I tried it once. It was pleasant enough, but you could tell it wasn't 'real' mince. It could be used perhaps to 'cut' real mince, but as I recall it cost about the same as real mince anyway!
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Put it this way - I served up a friend who is a chef a soya bolognaise and half way through eating he looked at me and said in shock 'are you eating meat?'

Soak it in boiling water for a while till it is soaked in before you cook - I don't bother measuring, I just pour on water and if it all soaks in add some more till there is some left - after all you need liquid for the sauce ;)
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Actually Austin it was about 92p for the packet but not sure how far that will stretch.

Thanks Trow, might have it tomorrow night in bolognese and see if the kids turn their noses up lol
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    tiff wrote:
    Just read the Quinoa thread and it reminded me that I have a packet of soya mince in the cupboard that I've been too frightened to use not knowing what it tastes like.

Is it a good substitute for Quorn/mince for spaghetti bolognese/chilli etc or does it taste yuk?

It tastes yuk, but then does Quorn and minced beef ... on their own ;) I find that all these things just provide bulk & texture (and protein), but the flavour is in the seasoning, herbs and other add-ons like tinned toms, onions, garlic etc

Just use it as you would mince ... bolognaise, lasagne, Cottage Pie.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • fazer6
    fazer6 Posts: 185 Forumite
    I got some bogoff in tesco so it'll work out healthier and cheaper than normal mince. I plan to use it to stretch meat further rather than as a complete replacement.
  • tiff
    Forumite
    Was the bogof on frozen or dried soya, fazer?
  • fazer6
    Frozen. It was £1.99 for a bag of 454g. Just checked my receipt as I couldn't remember if it was that or the chicken boobs that were £1.99. My tesco also has all their turkeys half price so I got a big 4-6 person one for £6. There's only 2 of us so it'll be turkey for weeks when I cook it.
  • tiff
    Forumite
    Yes, I got one of those turkeys and cooked it last weekend, except ours was £8.50 for 8 to 10 people. It made 3 1lb portions for the freezer plus sandwiches. I didnt know until today that you can get frozen soya mince, I've only seen dried!
  • fazer6
    I think it was soya mince, could have been quorn though, I've slept since then so I'm not entirely sure. I remember I was looking for soya mince because someone had mentioned it on here, and then I saw the bogoff stuff. It's not meat and that's all I can be sure of.

I was looking at the bigger turkeys but persuaded myself that a £12 turkey for 2 people might be slightly excessive!
  • nickinoo
    nickinoo Posts: 617 Forumite
    Soya mince is great stuff, I have served it up to numerous carnivores in various forms with no complaints. I think the texture is more like proper meat than Quorn (except I haven't eaten meat for years so I could be deluded), Holland & Barrett sell soya chunks which would be a great substitute in pies etc but I personally find them a bit "too meaty".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure