Which varnish for oak veneer doors

Hello

We are about to have 8 unfinished oak veneer doors fitted at £30 per door, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a varnish for these doors, we have looked at the Ronseal perfect finish varnish in light oak , can anybody recommend this or offer any advice on other products that we may use

Thanks for any help

Sak 46

Comments

• ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Personally I would look at Waxing them.

You could have a look at this

http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/categories/wood-finishes/wood-waxes.htm?gclid=CIrrx-GPhJcCFQmKMAodJ2GKZA

We waxed some hardwood doors and Dado rail about 15 years ago and do not reget it.

With the hard wax you put it on and polish it with 0000 or 00000 grade steel wool.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    i agree with ariba , waxing gives a much nicer finish
  • sak46
    sak46 Posts: 123 Forumite
    ariba10 wrote: »
    Personally I would look at Waxing them.

You could have a look at this

http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/categories/wood-finishes/wood-waxes.htm?gclid=CIrrx-GPhJcCFQmKMAodJ2GKZA

We waxed some hardwood doors and Dado rail about 15 years ago and do not reget it.

With the hard wax you put it on and polish it with 0000 or 00000 grade steel wool.

Thanks for reply, we would rather wax them, but on the info that came with the doors is says these doors are not suitable for polishing,waxing or treatment with teak oil,- do you think we could choose to ignore that?

Thanks again for any help Sak46
  • sak46
    Any more suggestions or advise please

Thanks
  • tim441
    tim441 Posts: 23 Forumite
    i too have used hard wax - OSMO. I can see no reason that it would not work fine on veneer. Can you not check with supplier why it says not suitable for polishing, waxing or treatment with teak oil?

i guess some products could cause veneer to lift - but would not expect that to be a major issue or happen normally.
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I would use Ronseal Satin Varnish. Not tinted, just plain.
  • sak46
    Just wondering if anybody had any more suggestions please.

Thanks Sak 46
  • We inherited a mixture of finishes on our doors. Some are varnished, some are just stained. The stained doors gather dust and are more difficult to clean than the varnished doors - a simple damp cloth once in a while sorts the varnished doors out. I imagine waxed doors would be similar to the stained doors - dust would stick more readily. If the doors are plain in design it's not an issue but if they're like ours (6 panel), I'd opt for the varnish. That's what we plan to do when we replace our doors this year.
    Norn Iron Club Member 330 ;)
  • adandem
    adandem Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I had a waxed bookcase once which didn't handle heavy cleaning very well at all, my personal choce is oil but if you do varnish, I'd be inclined to use matt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure