Cheapest place to buy paint?

We are redecorating our entire house and need to buy paint. I am looking for the cheapest place to buy good quality paint - any ideas?
thanks in advance.
H

Comments

• Hiya,
    I bought 10litres of B&Q magnolia for £10.98 we did one room with two caoats and another wal and have about 5 litres left. The white paint there is even cheaper. The magnolia wasn't too smelly either, was very glad of that as was painting walls of chocolate shop!
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    aye wickes and BQ own brand oil paint is pretty good value.
    their emulsion/s is/are a bit weak, but i get by with it most times. esp if doing 2 or 3 coats anyways. only really use white and magnolia.

beware of so called top branded stuff, some of it is great, but ive found some of it is very indifferent quality and poor value for the money.
    Get some gorm.
  • I can honestly say from bad experience....never ever buy cheap paint. My previous tenents did my flat up for me (grateful though I was at the time) with the cheapest B&Q paint. It's lasted less than 4 years, and I've had to repaint the entire flat.

If you have any damp/mould issues, do not even consider getting anything cheap. Go for trade dulux and nothing else. It's about 40 quid for a big tub, but worth every single penny. Had it on my walls for over 2 years now, and no marks, no mould, no damp, nothing. Seriously, don't go for cheap paint, ever!
  • What are you after gloss or emulsion? i would agree with the above though that a cheap paint is more often than not a false economy
  • crankup
    crankup Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Go for Dulux Trade or Permaglaze paint. Look on your industrial estate for the suppliers - they quite often have deals on white and magnolia. Any other colours will cost more.
    * "Take my advice, Dont listen to me." *
    ~~ Yes I've tried Google ~~
    ~~ Yes I've tried ebaY ~~

• dawnybabes
    dawnybabes Posts: 2,551 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have you got a Glynn Webb local - they sell end of line colours and you can pick them up cheap and its all branded stuff
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66 :j
  • Generally i agree with the above posts in that i tend to find that using cheap or own brand paint is a false economy. If you buy a more expensive tin of dulux or crown for example the coverage seems to be better so you only need to use half the amount of paint as you would using a cheap tin.

Tesco and asda both stock thier own brands at very reasonable prices as well as the branded tins cheap too. Its sometimes worth checking out B&Q because they often sell off end of line stuff
  • h0ney
    h0ney Posts: 78 Forumite
    It is emulsion i am after. I have never heard of Glynn Webb - i am the north of Scotland - is that an english company? Do B&Q do dulux trade?
  • spamberler
    spamberler Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I need quite alot of matt white emulsion....Cheapest Ive seen is homebase £8.98 (i think) for 10L. Any better offers seen??
    A dAy WiThOuT wInE iS lIkE a DaY wItHoUt SuNsHiNe
  • poppyolivia
    poppyolivia Posts: 2,976 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Not sure if this will help but Focus had that 10x tougher paint reduced to £2 per 2.5 litre tins this was in the Inverness store not sure if it was everywhere......the money was going to charity.
    They also had 2.5 litre garden paint for metal and wood for £2 a tin, needless to say I bought some for the playhouse and my wee girls bedroom....£10 and thats with me buying extra to make sure I had enough!! Wooo hoooo.
    You may walk and you may run
    You leave your footprints all around the sun
    And every time the storm and the soul wars come
    You just keep on walking
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business