Halogen bulbs in Kitchen ceiling blowing every week!

Comments

• nelly wrote: »
    EVERYONE I know has this problem with them.

They seem to be absolute pants

The problem ones are the mains GU10, you only really get problems with the 12V ones if you buy cheap lamps or trannys [and the last thing you want is a cheap tranny :eek: ]
    baldly going on...
  • nelly_2
    nelly_2 Posts: 17,863
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The problem ones are the mains GU10, you only really get problems with the 12V ones if you buy cheap lamps or trannys [and the last thing you want is a cheap tranny :eek: ]
    LMFAO :)

Whats GU10?

I dont do electrics cos Im colourblind

Oh actually have you ever been involved in re connecting a repo house?

Im about to buy one and had a nighmare with the gas metre allready

Is it just one of them big fat fuse's needs putting in or is there more to it?

And have you got a big fat fuse to lend me for ever? and my address is in my webby in my profile :)
  • Call the local electricity board and get them to put a token meter in.

They will put one of these in no problem and you will not get any nasty bills when you sell.

GU10 lamps are chunkier at the end, and more naff
    baldly going on...
  • adandem
    adandem Posts: 3,592
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Nelski wrote: »
    same problem here with the added irritation that everytime one blows it takes the fuse out too:mad: was wondering myself if there was a wiring problem but it seems to be the way it is

We had this problem and found it was because the bulbs aren't fused.

We changed them for fused ones (Osram or Philips are okay I think) and we've had no trouble since.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    ohhh thanks just bought some phillips ones from costco today so fingers crossedicon7.gif
  • mbailey
    mbailey Posts: 858
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    nelly wrote: »
    LMFAO :)
    Whats GU10?

GU10 = 240v (Mains Voltage)
    MR16 = 12v (Low Voltage)
  • ozskin
    ozskin Posts: 451 Forumite
    gu10's cr*p, but many sparkys like them cause they are easier to put in though proper sparks like the ones here on mse dont, we recomend only mr16 with quality transformers, one of collegues has had them for 8 years in kitchen and no replacements, mine in hallway changed 1st bulb after 4 years and these are on all nigh every night dimmed.
  • Steel_2
    Steel_2 Posts: 1,649
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Red_Cat wrote: »
    I remember reading that touching with bare fingers leaves a residue of grease (for want of a better word) from your fingers on the surface of the bulb and it is that which shortens the lifespan. I suppose you are meant to use the plastic wrapping to hold them whilst inserting into the light fitting.

My hubbie went to a local shop selling aquariums and bought a little rubber vacuum sucker that is used to fit water heaters into fish tanks. It's only small - probably about the size of a large thumbnail - but it's brilliant for getting halogen bulbs into their fittings. When you've put the bulb in, all you do is squeeze the sides together to break the seal and take it off the bulb surface.
    "carpe that diem"
  • Micky
    Micky Posts: 359 Forumite
    The GU10s do seem to overheat, the fittings get very hot. Replacing the bulbs once every three months in the kitchen. I wonder if the LED equivalent lasts longer, although 10 times the cost.
  • agarr
    agarr Posts: 261
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Seems like your transformer has gone. This is a common fault as most light fixtures have cheap ones fitted to them so they are only meant to last 18 months or so. It is far cheaper to change the light fixture than change the transformer as the decent ones can be costly lol x.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure