PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning a fabric sofa with non-removable covers

2»

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi sharra :)

We have a recent thread on cleaning a sofa and so I've added your post on to the end of it. Posts are listed in date order so you'll need to read from the beginning to catch up.

Good luck.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Sharra
    Sharra Posts: 751 Forumite
    Thanks for the advice :)
    So long as it doesnt cost a fortune I think we will hire a steam cleaner if thats the best - preferably soon!
  • loopylass
    loopylass Posts: 1,296 Forumite
    hi i have a cream fabric sofa we bought it from dfs 3 years ago as the cushions upzip and the back etc i washed it (although they said it shouldnt be) and it was lovely and clean but the surround what you cant take off is grubby now i have a steam cleaner although it was cleaner(not much) it doesnt match the cushions as they are nice and clean do you mean the ones you can hire from b&q i think its called the rug master or something like that lol

Macnab wrote:
    hire a steam cleaner and steam clean it - will look like new
  • Macnab
    Macnab Posts: 314 Forumite
    our dry cleaners hire ones out, or the guy that cleans our carpets also will clean sofas etc maybe you will have someone offering the same service near to you?
  • You can use some homemade solutions or just pick up an upholstery cleaner online or at your local store. Even if you buy something locally, be sure to check out some cleaner reviews and guides online ( for example just google upholstery cleaners 101 ) before you start cleaning. Hope that helps and good luck!:)
  • mummyroysof3
    mummyroysof3 Posts: 4,566 Forumite
    We have had the best results on our sofa with detol power and pure kitchen spray. We used it in desperation after the youngest was sick on it.
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015 :j:D:eek::T
  • dasophster
    dasophster Posts: 911 Forumite
    Have had best results in the past using a small amount of biological washing liquid (not gel) in a bucket of warm water, add enough to get a 'filmy' feel to the water but no more. I then apply gently in a circular motion using a microfibre cloth, on particularly grimy or dusty areas I pay extra attention. I make sure not to overwet and blot with towels at the end then leave the windows open and heating on to speed up drying. I have used this on chenille sofas, faux suede ones and on OH's cab upholstery. All looked perfect and new afterwards xx
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,647
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I tackled our sofas yesterday (why did I think we could keep cream ones clean!!) with Stardrops Alur gentle liquid wash. I applied it with a sponge and used a nail brush on the more soiled areas. It was hard work but they look so much better.

I have only just discovered Alur and it's my new best friend for carpets, upholstery and, of course, hand washing which is what it's intended for!!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Highgrove
    Highgrove Posts: 103 Forumite
    Tried everything to clean mine, the only thing that worked was a carpet steam cleaner that I hired. It did a fantastic job.
  • Try this method deevora.com/how-to-clean-suede-couch/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport