Npower debt, can I change supplier?

Hi,

This question may come accross as morally wrong but at the moment it seems like my only option.

I have quite a few debts which at the moment I am finding difficult to pay due to delays in my ESA claim.

I have been with Npower for a few years and fell behind on 2 months payments. This resulting with a payment plan being set up. All was well for some time but recently, I missed a payment. I was trying to catch up by paying £200 p/m as opposed to the agreed £178 p/m. Apparently Npower did not like this and has demanded that I pay the full amount of £1182.

I really can not afford this as I have a limited income. I have tried to swap suppliers as my monthly payments to the new supplier would be £95 p/m which would enable me to pay Npower £105 p/m to clear the debt. Npower has blocked this move and are again demanding the full amount.

Now, this is my question. As I live with my husband and his mum also lives here with us, could they apply for a new supplier or would they too be blocked? As his mum has only recently came to live with us, could she start a supply as a new resident?

As I said, this may seem morally wrong but it really is the only thinh I can think of.:(

Please someone, help me.

Comments

• undaunted
    undaunted Posts: 1,870 Forumite
    Unless (and perhaps it being Npower even if) you & hubby were to move out it's unlikely you will get to switch at the present time.

I suggest you complain to your MP, citing that way back in 1999 even Ofgem themselves stated this practice to be anti competitive and proposed to remove transfer blocking (a facility no other industry has). It wont immediately change anything but if enough people start to complain perhaps someone will eventually actually do something about it.

Also cite SLC 27 which requires them to offer a range of payment methods and includes

"27.8 The licensee must take all reasonable steps to ascertain the Domestic Customer’s ability to pay and must take this into account when calculating instalments "

I believe that Npower consistently fail to heed this condition

If you also complain to Consumer Focus they may or may not be able to help you negotiate a payment arrangement which you can afford but will probably not help you to switch supplier

Good luck
  • After 6 phone cals to Npower I finally got hold of a very helpfull gentleman who was able to tell me that I was on the wrong tariff. He has now changed this to save me £422 p/y and has reduced my outstanding repayment plan. Thanks for your help, now is all well with the world again
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Ofgem give them the right to object t if you have Outstanding Charges. However, they don't have to object and some customers get missed anyway as the objection period is usually about 5 working days.

So, if you still need to do it, you can complain and negotiate. The ombudsman if you refer 8 weeks after the complaint may also rule this is in your interests.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    They also have to allow so many to transfer, but think whats happened is the op failed his plan was removed and a full demand issued.
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure