Conservatory Glass Roof - Max Length

Hi guys

Need a quick answer if anyone can help.

We are in the process of having a new conservatory fitted and has Piklington KActiv Blue as the glass roof. The quotation plans show five equal panes from top to bottom although we were told one that would be shorter as one panel needs to acommodate a boiler flue (think two rooms really, one being a lean-to part sealed off with brick wall & door and the other the conservatory) which would come through from a upvc panel.

Anyway the glass has turned up and for each panel, the glass is in two sections approx 2.8m and 0.5 m long making 3.3m in total.

I am adamant it should be one complete pane as per the plans (and from every other cad plans we got from other quotes) wheras the installer is blaming the company saying it would have been done to look equal (albeit two rooms and you can't see one from the other).

Can't find any information on the max length of the glass apart from some info somewhere I read about the max length being 6m x 3.2m (which I now cannot find).

Anyone advise the max length of Activ Blue (or alternate products) please

(Upset, stressed and annoyed) WJUK

Comments

• There is no max length, as it depends on the thickness and strength of the glass - ie thicker and stronger glass the longer the pane is.

There will be a maximum length due to manufacturing and transportation considerations, but it would be more than the 3.3m in this case

Another possibility is constraints imposed by the roof design/construction/materials - ie longer lengths may require a different roof system.

But if you wanted one length glass, then this should have been designed in and ordered, and your contract is on that basis.
  • brig001
    brig001 Posts: 385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We have the same glass in our roof and were told that the maximum in one piece was 3m. I couldn't see why, but it fitted in with the design, so I didn't question it. It could be because of the roof construction as iamcornholio says.
  • Hi guys
    hi wacko. we are having the identical problem, ie over 3m span with the glass having to be fitted in 2 pieces.we were about to accept until i read your submit. it sounds like a money saving thing on behalf of the company but its not what we wanted, any more info would be appreciated, thanks

We are in the process of having a new conservatory fitted and has Piklington KActiv Blue as the glass roof. The quotation plans show five equal panes from top to bottom although we were told one that would be shorter as one panel needs to acommodate a boiler flue (think two rooms really, one being a lean-to part sealed off with brick wall & door and the other the conservatory) which would come through from a upvc panel.

Anyway the glass has turned up and for each panel, the glass is in two sections approx 2.8m and 0.5 m long making 3.3m in total.

I am adamant it should be one complete pane as per the plans (and from every other cad plans we got from other quotes) wheras the installer is blaming the company saying it would have been done to look equal (albeit two rooms and you can't see one from the other).

Can't find any information on the max length of the glass apart from some info somewhere I read about the max length being 6m x 3.2m (which I now cannot find).

Anyone advise the max length of Activ Blue (or alternate products) please

(Upset, stressed and annoyed) WJUK
    hi wacko. we are having the identical problem, ie over 3m span with the glass having to be fitted in 2 pieces.we were about to accept until i read your submit. it sounds like a money saving thing on behalf of the company but its not what we wanted, any more info would be appreciated, thanks
  • wackojackouk
    wackojackouk Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A different company told me it was possible in 6mm rather than 4mm. We're in the middle of a dispute at the moment and guess what... the roof leaks where it joins !!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure