PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Do I owe my boyfriend rent?

Comments

• No i wouldnt of thought you owed him rent!

You have done a lot in respect of paying bills including food and clothing and a desk!
    If your on the tenancy it may change things BUT if your not then just leave.

Do you have proof of the bills you`ve paid, things you`ve bought etc? Handy to keep hold of that for proof.

I have receipts for most things or they were paid for by card or paypal, would that count?

If he takes me to the small claims court is it anything like a CCJ? Will it affect getting a mortgage or a CRB?
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If he takes me to the small claims court is it anything like a CCJ? Will it affect getting a mortgage or a CRB?

If he wins, it would be a CCJ, and would affect credit applications (but not a CRB check as far as I know.)

However, unless he has something signed by you to say you'll pay him half the rent or you're on the tenancy, he'd be on a hiding to nothing. And in any event, if you're on the tenancy, it'd be the landlord suing you if the rent wasn't paid, not your boyfriend.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Yes it will if the CCJ is not paid within a month. BUT

His threats of court action are probably just bluster. Don't worry about this at the moment. He will (probably!) have to use solicitors here and they will contact you before issuing any proceedings.

Obviously keep any paperwork relating to the tenancy and bills etc.
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • terryw wrote: »
    Yes it will if the CCJ is not paid within a month. BUT

His threats of court action are probably just bluster. Don't worry about this at the moment. He will (probably!) have to use solicitors here and they will contact you before issuing any proceedings.

Obviously keep any paperwork relating to the tenancy and bills etc.

He says he will represent himself. He has a book on law of tort but I'm not aware of him knowing anything about law.

If it does happen and I do have to pay some money, if I can pay it within a month then it won't affect me? Just want to be sure I understand this.
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    You are jointly responsiblefor the rent and other bills that you are jointly named as being responsible for.

For the rent he is very unlikely to suceed in any small claims court. You already have enough information to obscure the issues. OK he paid the rent but this on behalf of you both. Equally the bills you paid were jointly for you both.

I would tell the people you have potential future liabilities to like the utilities, that you are no longer living at the property and wish to cancel the supply contracts on a specified date.

As to the rent tell the landlord you have moved out and tell him to do as he wishes on suing you. If he goes ahead with it do not ignore any letters you receive. Of course you may be entitled to half of any deposit that is returned!
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    He says he will represent himself. He has a book on law of tort but I'm not aware of him knowing anything about law.

If it does happen and I do have to pay some money, if I can pay it within a month then it won't affect me? Just want to be sure I understand this.
    Yes if you pay within a month then it doesn't get recorded and won't affect your credit. You need to either negotiate with him beforehand or go to court and put your case forward. If he paid the rent upfront in the hope that you would pay half over the 6 months he has a very small chance of winning. I really don't think it would be anywhere near what he's requesting. £833 a month is very high rent....Is it really that much? Did part of the £5000 include a deposit? He can't sue you for that bit as he will get that back when he terminates the tenancy. As 3 months remain on the original lease you would be responsible for half of the 6 months rent and half of the time has already passed so it shouldn't be much.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Theres owing and theres getting. I beleive you can just walk and if he chooses to litigate then thats for him to decide. Equwally,he could just walk and leave you with it...whos going to be first..? And to think you both once professed love for each other and ermm...fornicated in the name of love.

Why not kiss and make up...come to an amicable solution and wish eachother the best in your new lives separately.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    He says he will represent himself. He has a book on law of tort...

Wrong book. He needs one on the law of contract.

but I'm not aware of him knowing anything about law.

You could well be right.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,666 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you feel you have paid a fair amount towards your living costs then try not to worry. Gather your documents and evidence together so that you have it to hand if your ex does take you to small claims court. If he does a judge will listen to what both of you say and look at what your evidence is. They will then decide based on probability whether there was a contract made and whether you owe anything. You may then be ordered to pay an amount if the judge believes that to be what you owe, you then have time to pay and get a certificate of satisfaction. If you pay on time and get the certificate then there is no CCJ affecting your record.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • N79
    N79 Posts: 2,615 Forumite

Don't worry, he clearly knows nothing as that's the wrong book.

Edit: Antrobus got there first.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport