How to wire thermostat to boiler ???

Comments

• ajbaker
    ajbaker Posts: 173 Forumite
    Has the world gone mad?! At what point were the only people able to change a thermostat Corgi registered? Are you suggesting a qualified electrcian is not capable because they do not have a Corgi certificate also? Of course not. Does one have to be a certificiated electrcian to modify anything electrical in a house? Of course not.

I'm not suggesting the regulations do not have there place, but they do seem to be written on the assumption everyone is stupid. They then go on to assume by passing an exam (and paying a fee) one is suddenly capable.

I have no doubt some people would be better employing a tradesman to do such work (note I do not use the terms professional, qualified, certified etc.) However because one needs to post a question here does not mean they are in that category. If I remember correctly the terminals in the boiler are not labelled, which means the installation manual is essential regardless of ability.
  • Nobleck wrote:
    A Gorgi Registered Engineer should be the only person changing the thermostat. Not an Electrician and certainly not a DIYer.

Is there a new regulatory system called Gorgi ?

Never heard as much sheeeeet in my life. I spent a good part of my trade wiring central heating systems. I have a good knowlege of gas and all related stuff. I don't touch gas pipes, and anything like that. I am not corgi registered but I am not breaking the law by connecting in a stat or time clock into a boiler.

You need to be corgi registered to work on gas specific items (for example I won't take the boiler apart to get into anything other than electrical stuff)

As I said earlier, don't fiddle about with electics on a boiler unless you know what you are getting.
    baldly going on...
  • Russ66
    Russ66 Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As I said earlier, don't fiddle about with electics on a boiler unless you know what you are getting.

I have to agree with Baldy here.:beer:

I remember when I replaced mine; I tested for an electricity feed with my screwdriver tester, no power, happy days, touched the wire and had a shock that blew me off my beer crate!!:o :o

I'd forgotten to test the bulb in my screwdriver.:rotfl: :rotfl:
    You're Damned If You Do & You're Damned If You Don't :doh:
  • Nobleck
    Nobleck Posts: 287 Forumite
    What i was really getting at, was how would an inexperienced person know that the stat was the problem. IMHO a gas engineer would be much better to use than anyother trade. Just in case.
  • I have been called out a few times last year to boiler faults when a heating engineer told the customer to get an electician as he couldn't trace the fault.
    baldly going on...
  • robby-01
    robby-01 Posts: 1,336 Forumite
    Nobleck wrote:
    A Gorgi Registered Engineer should be the only person changing the thermostat. Not an Electrician and certainly not a DIYer.
    Engineers build bridges.
    Were did this myth come from that a Plumber with a bit of paper that says he can work on gas is an engineer.
    Brunel was an engineer some bloke with corgi written on his van is not.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nobleck wrote:
    What i was really getting at, was how would an inexperienced person know that the stat was the problem. IMHO a gas engineer would be much better to use than anyother trade. Just in case.

You really should not bother to post your pathetic comments, if you haven't read the whole thread!

:rolleyes:

The OP is fitting a new room stat to a system that does not have one. What has that got to do with Corgi?

:rotfl:
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Nobleck
    Please accept my apologies in that case. I thought he was on about the stat in the boiler. SORRY.
  • Nobleck
    You will need some 3 core and earth cable, as you will require a neutral in order for the shunt resistor in the stat to operate properly.
    Inside the boiler(electric compartment) there may be a couple of terminals labelled T1+T2, if you do not have a stat already you should see a cable link between T1+T2, this is where the live and switch live would connect from the Thermostat to the boiler, the neutral connects to the neutral (black or blue cable propably labelled as N.
    Hope this response helps you out, as i seem to have misinterpretted your question and peed a few people off with my previous responses. Sorry bout that:(
  • roger56
    roger56 Posts: 478 Forumite
    Building regulations Part P, page 9 item n states:

"New central heating control wiring installations are notifiable even where work in kitchens and bathrooms is avoided"

So if you are putting in new wiring (as suggested by previous poster), it's probably best to get a qualified electrician to do the work.
    Don't forget, if you don't comply with the regs, your home insurance is invalidated also.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure