Mental Health and Debt Help Booklet Discussion

Comments

• Aesop
    Aesop Posts: 23,773
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi Martin

On page 18 - it refers to cutting off the water supply as a last resort - in fact cutting off a domestic water supply is illegal, no matter how big the debt. Of course, this would not stop the water company taking action in the courts for a CCJ but the water supply must still stay connected nonetheless.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/ManagingDebt/DebtsAndArrears/DG_10025592

Water rates arrears
    Many water companies send out bills twice a year, in April and October. You can pay your bill all at once or in instalments - perhaps weekly, fortnightly or monthly. If you get behind with your payments the water company can't disconnect your supply, but they can take action to get their money and, if necessary, take you to court.
    There is a scheme called 'WaterSure' that may be able to help you. There is a useful flow chart on the Consumer Council for Water (CCWater) website where you can check if you are eligible for the WaterSure scheme.
    Get contact details for your water companyOpens new window
    Make a complaint to OfwatOpens new window
  • niccatw
    niccatw Posts: 3,096
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A big thank you to Martin and team! :T

When I first was brave enough to visit my GP, I filled out the depression questionairre she handed me in a way I knew would mean I wouldn't be diagnosed. My GP advised me to go and get my hair cut or buy myself some new clothes to make myself feel better.

My stress levels went through the roof because I was juggling debt with everything else. (Admittedly, I said nothing to my GP of this, so I'm not suggesting the GP should have known, but just how I felt.)

By the time I was brave enough to go back (and make sure I saw a different GP), I had lost an awful lot of weight and was really very low and it was a long, slow (and continuing) process to get me back to feeling like me again.

If my GP had had a better understanding of the link between mental health and depression, that first appointment might have been very different.

I really hope GP's embrace your hard work and see your booklet not only as a way of helping their patients, but as a starting point for any doctor's out there who are less familiar or confident when it comes to mental health and debt.
    Jan10: 28,315.81 Jan11: 18,015.32 Jan12: 7,682.58 Jan13: 2,987.73 Current debt: 1,225.55
    HFC [STRIKE]1896.10. [/STRIKE] 225.55 SLC2 [STRIKE]5123.34[/STRIKE] 0 Others [STRIKE]2085[/STRIKE] 1000 Bcard [STRIKE]1172.60[/STRIKE] 0

Mike's Mob
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    :TWill forward this to my work.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • eng_2
    eng_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    It is so refreshing to find someone who can understand others problems. Even those trained to understand do not have the empathy and skills you have Martin. I have a son with mental health problems and it is a losing battle to find awareness and understanding from those who should be able to help him. A brilliant resource and thank you.
  • 3Dogs
    3Dogs Posts: 14,092 Forumite
    Well done to Martin and the team for this excellent much-needed document :j :j :j
    :( Mr 3Dogs 3-7-12 :( 3Dogs'Mam 31-3-13 :(
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hi
    I think that booklet would be great for anyone who is worrried about debt. Well done to the team.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • brenda10
    brenda10 Posts: 340
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Martin,
    The amount of useful information in the booklet is incredible, I had not realised so many offers of help are out there and now that I have all your useful information I feel a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.
    Brilliant work and thanks for all your and the teams hard work.
    C.M:money:
  • Erme
    Erme Posts: 3,597
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 18 February 2011 at 9:39AM
    I've just had a quick skim read but looks pretty comprehensive...Have spammed all my medics (and I have lots of medics email addies LOL)

Just wondering if DMP providers though should also be included in the appendix? Just a thought?

And what about doing something on help for students - even if it's just a paragraph because like so many folk have their first psychotic episode as students..

Glad the W.R.A.P is in there though...the wrap is so cool :money:

You just need to get us all making cards as inpatients and starting up cottage industries on the acute wards LOL....knitting needles and crochet hooks to the rescue :) (boy that'd keep the recovery centre busy tee hee)

E
    PS. Och and baking for our medics...works better than complaints......Just tell us a good cheap food processor :)
    :dance:
    I believe in the power of PAD
    Come and join us on the Payment a Day thread
    :dance:
  • It's excellent Martin. You deal with the issue in a sensitive yet constructive manner.
    You should be knighted sir.
  • MSE_Jenny
    MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MSE Staff
    edited 22 February 2011 at 12:20PM
    Thanks so much for all this useful feedback - we are taking it all into account. :) We've deleted the posts on corrections we've now made, to keep the thread relevant to newcomers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure