Credit Card Reclaiming Success Stories

Comments

• tikka9
    tikka9 Posts: 29 Forumite
    as a newbie if this is in the wrong place could someone please move it.

i was just thinking that with all the people including myself who have made monetary gain through following the advice on this site to claim bank charges etc perhaps we could start a campaign to encourage people to dontate just a small amount to a charity like children in need, it would make them feel better and perhaps really show gratitude to the work martin puts in to this amazing site.

just a thought and something i intend to do. after all through this site an incredable amount of people are now better off
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    tikka9 wrote: »
    as a newbie if this is in the wrong place could someone please move it.

i was just thinking that with all the people including myself who have made monetary gain through following the advice on this site to claim bank charges etc perhaps we could start a campaign to encourage people to dontate just a small amount to a charity like children in need, it would make them feel better and perhaps really show gratitude to the work martin puts in to this amazing site.

just a thought and something i intend to do. after all through this site an incredable amount of people are now better off

Its a lovely idea - but just a wee plug. The MoneySavingExpert.com Charity is only weeks (i hope) away from launch, we're just waiting for official yes from the Charity competition. So its be great it you wanted to hold onto the pennies until then :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • LS123_2
    LS123_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Had a couple of succeses over the last couple of weeks with my cc claims:

RBS - claimed on MCOL they defended then claim was stayed, then I got it un-stayed and then they paid up.

Barclaycard paid up 3 days before court date.

Good luck everyone

LS:o
  • wendfd
    wendfd Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Had some success on my credit cards reclaims

Capital One. Wrote 1st letter, July 07 - Accepted their offer which was difference between The charges and £12.00 £54.00

MBNA As above but this time I didn't accept offer. Threatened court action and actually filed claim online. They rang to discuss it an agreed to pay in full. Received payment in full £221 inc court fees

Fashion world. Sent 2nd letter refusing their first offer and they replied and offered to pay in full minu interest. Accepted £359

Mint They have filed a defence that the claim should be stayed awaiting the test case. Sent letter objecting to the stay. Received letter from Court saying it was being transferred to local court.
    The more I find out the less I know!
  • Provider - MBNA
    Amount claimed - £1637.62
    Amount won - £1637.62

I had previously won back all my bank charges from the Halifax so I decided to start on my credit cards. I used all the template letters on this site, although with the initial letter to MBNA I only asked for the charges to be refunded without the interest (£1205), they offered me a payment of £491 which was the difference between what I had been charged and the new reduced £12 fee. I replied that I would accept that as a part payment but started court procedure anyway. Felt really worried when I checked online on Friday to see that they were going to defend but on Saturday morning I got a cheque in the post for £1146.62, which was the remaining amount, plus interest plus the court cost. I was absolutely over the moon and I just want to thank everyone on this site because without it and its success stories I would never have gone through with these claims. I used to listen to Martin :money: on Radio 2 raving on about reclaiming bank charges and thought that there was some catch that would mean it would not apply to me. So thanks Martin, you were right. 6 months ago I nearly took out a loan just to try to catch up with all my payments and my overdraft because these charges were crippling me, but now I have no overdraft, no loan and I have paid off over £5,000 off my credit cards, all I now owe is £370. Please don't give up, it is your money, they have ripped us all off, it's time they paid it back.:j
  • techspec
    techspec Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    Natwest Card Services

Claimed £570 for a friend
    Offer £560 (They must have really needed a tenner)

Claimed via ombudsman on July 30th.

Happy Days!!
  • Company: EGG
    Amount claimed: £233.39
    Amount received: £233.39

Was surprisingly quick.

Requested statements mid-August (also claiming Payment Protection Insurance).

9th Sept - requested repayment of charges incurred on account
    3rd Oct - received standard letter saying EGG does not believe charges are unlawful etc., etc. so go away.
    10th Oct - sent reply requesting money again, this time with threat of court action.
    15th Oct - received standard reply from EGG, but with offer of £36 to go away.
    17th Oct - sent letter saying would accept £36 as down payment on full amount. Decided to threaten with Financial Ombudsman. Actually completed forms and sent at same time.
    19th Oct - received letter from EGG with offer of full amount plus interest to the value of £233.39.

Have accepted offer, but holding back telling FOS until money in bank!

Thanks to all on this forum for support. To those in the process or thinking about it, go for it and follow the guides.
  • king100
    king100 Posts: 1,565 Forumite
    Provider: Lloyds TSB
    Amount Reclaimed: £484.13 (amount owed plus interest)
    Amount they paid: £536.45 (amount plus interest plus an additional 14 days interest)

The story: The normal letters going through the process.

DENIED DENIED DENIED.

Took to court and started playing their games. They filed a false defence claiming that it was a "bank Account", of course it was stayed in Northampton Court. Wrote to :

The solicitors involved
    Office of Fair Trading
    Solicitors Regulation Authority
    Northampton Court
    Watchdog
    LLoyds TSB

Told the solicitors that they were being reported to all those people etc.

Told the court that they should be held in contempt etc, really laying into them.

Heard nothing from court until a letter came from LLoyds that they were going to pay me the full amount plus 14 days interest.

Of course i accepted and have cashed the cheque and it has cleared.

Now trying to get the default notice on my credit scoring since this has taken about 5 months to sort out and they have put on 5 default notices.

I all have learnt is from others on many sites.
    Seek legal help if unsure.
    Dont pay Private Parking tickets - they are mere invoices.

PRESS THANKS
    }
  • lucyclare
    lucyclare Posts: 374 Forumite
    PROVIDER MBNA
    CLAIMED £1500 + INTEREST
    WON £900

I Claimed on behalf of my partner, He had three accounts with them over the years. This was the first time I had done this, but he had claimed £1600 from Halifax bank.

We got a letter saying that they would deal with the cases by blah date (it was about two weeks) which I actually thought was very nice of them. Then we got out responses early. (I was happy with this) We were happy to settle for the £900, we got two cheques and the one current card he has with them was credited with £389.

PROVIDER HALIFAX
    CLAIMED £320
    WON £150

Not such a nice company. I got the first letter saying go away so I threatened to take them to court. Then surprise surprise they offered £150 which cleared the amount outstanding on his card and we have closed it. No more money to Halifax.

PROVIDER SKY
    CLAIMED £275
    WON £138.50

Dead easy to deal with, you can speak to them on the phone, but again we got a letter to say that we would have a response by 28th of this month and the letter came today saying they will give us £138.50. Its more than enough to clear the card, another one for the bin.

PROVIDER MBNA
    CLAIMED £200
    WON £91

This is my old MBNA card. The account has been dead for eons, but I though I'd give it a go. I am now just waiting for my cheque.

Having read some of the other threads on this site, I should maybe have hung on for more, but I am happy with the amounts we have had, it has helped to clear two credit cards in full, the £91 from this claim will pay my barclay card.

We are going after RBS next, then both of my Barcalycards. We have not found any negative response from any of the companies we have dealt with. I never had a lot to claim back as I had direct debits paying mine, but for the cost of a stamp and some computer time, go for it. Do not be put off with the first letter telling you to go away.

Stick to the letter templates on this site, they are tried and tested, but what is MCOL?

Thanks Martin and to your site, so far with his halifax claim, we have recouped nearly £3000. Its a hell of a lot of money and the New Year will be much easier for us now.
    Lucy
    :T wealth is a state of mind :T
  • rose28454
    rose28454 Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Sainsburys Credit Card

Claimed £150.00
    Received £75.00

Agreed to settle for lesser figure because I thought with Test case I might not get it. However looking here it seems lots are paying out. On with all the other credit card charges now!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback