Drop in gas pressure/slight gas leak

2»

Comments

• lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    also as gman stated not only would it be illegal to reconnect with out appropiate works it would invalidate any insurance on the property meaning any claims made if something bad happened would not be paid.
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Nothing more to add really, it has been summed up quite adequately. An appliance with a known fault cannot be connected.

Did anyone use a sniffer to try to find out where the leak was?
  • izanc24
    izanc24 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Don't know if they used a sniffer. I was told the leak was coming from the cooker and not the pipes supplying the gas.

I was told twice (at beginning of 2010 and several months later in 2010) that half a MB drop in pressure is permissible and safe. So I was very surprised to get a visit two days after being told it is safe (and being given forms to say gas tests have been passed) to be informed that it isn't safe and cooker must be disconnected. Surely it is either safe or not safe?
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    It is a technicality, bt once the cooker has been disconnected and another test done, in your case proving that the cooker was the source of the leak, then this appliance wouldn't be reconnected.

If the original test had been done with all appliances connected and there was no smell of gas, then a 0.5 mbar drop would be within regulations.

The 'problem' has been that your engineer has been 'too thorough' and found that it was the cooker leaking.

Although the end result is one that doesn't fit in with what you want, he has done his job very well.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Gman0365 wrote: »
    As has been posted already there are permissible pressure drops when tightness testing.

I have noticed that many local authorities now have a policy of zero pressure drop following any inspection - although this is over and above the regulations. It may be that they have a duty of care with regards to their tenants. After all if you perform a landlords gas safety check year after year and consistently record a 0.5mb drop then one year the house blows up it wouldn't look very good on the landlord if they knowingly left this leak year after year.

Think of it as being the local authority looking after your welfare as opposed to them doing it out of malice.

Yes ..this does seem to be the case.

I will give my personal guarantee that a normal domestic prems supplied via a U6 meter,will never blow up :)
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure