How many hours pw can you work on ESA?

Options
I need some advice, I am off work on long-term sick atm and my contract ends 3rd March. I am thinking of claiming ESA then but concerned I wont be able to live off the £53.45 pw (Im under 25).

After reading the goverments website I wonder if I will be permitted to do some work from home or a small job a few hours a week.

The website http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Illorinjured/DG_171909
says:
The Permitted Work rules

Under the Permitted Work rules you can:
  • work for less than 16 hours a week on average, with earnings up to £97.50 a week for 52 weeks
  • work for less than 16 hours a week, on average, with earnings up to £97.50 a week if you are in the Support Group of the main phase of Employment and Support Allowance
  • work and earn up to £20 a week, at any time, for as long as you are receiving Employment and Support Allowance
  • do Supported Permitted Work and earn up to £97.50 a week for as long as you are receiving Employment and Support Allowance, provided you continue to satisfy the Supported Permitted Work criteria
When I was on Job Seekers in Sept I got £80 pw due to having a disability. I just doesnt seem fair that I should now be on a lower income because I am ill.
No More Buying Books: read 0/25; Bought: 0
May Make £5 a Day Challenge £003.21/£150.00

Comments

• rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    In short - yes, you can.
    However.
    Any work you do _must_ be cleared by them first - they can decide work done is not permitted work after the fact otherwise, which will cause you no end of problems.
    Phone them up and ask for a permitted work form. Once they get it back, after a few weeks, they will contact you.
    I'm assuming you're single, on the assessment rate.
    Are you also on DLA?
    You will once you pass the WCA (if you do) be entitled to eitehr the support, or work-related component of ESA. ~27/week.
  • Angel_Rachie
    Options
    So do I have to fill this form in before I even start looking for work?
    Also will wages be deducted from my ESA?
    Whats the difference between work or support related ESA?
    Sorry for all the questions but its a rather confusing process.
    No More Buying Books: read 0/25; Bought: 0
    May Make £5 a Day Challenge £003.21/£150.00
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    You need to fill in the form, and get approval before you do work.
    The wages do not affect your ESA.
    The differences are that in the suppot group you would not be expected to do anything.
    In the work-related group, you will have to attend 'work focussed interviews'.
  • eve13_2
    eve13_2 Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    Don't know if this helps, but I called ESA the moment my son (Aspergers) started to earn as Bank in a nursery. He gets £22.50 per session. So if he works one session £2.50 is taken of ESA, two sessions £25 etc. I was told to write to address on letter and we will then be sent a form to fill out. Also to keep all payslips in case they are required to be sent in. This was just our experience, we have an appointment tomorrow at job centre so we should get more information on work (paid), voluntary and pay. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure