Can you get Grants for Reroofing.

Options
2»

Comments

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    epz wrote:
    im sure its great for all you guys getting free money to do your houses up but i do wonder why my council tax is subsidising this.

i dont mind some situations like great old houses that are unique or beautiful, the impression im getting here is its everyone with an ex council semi and you know its being run buy some council lacky with no clue.

it for the same reason as my council tax/income tax is subsidising some stupid running games around a decrepit part of east london, soon. 9 billion quid!
    national health service? what a joke, god only knows how much money is wasted?
    education?
    rover cars?
    scottish parliament/building?
    the list is endless.
    everyone can choose their own pet project/gripe.
    and its cause we got lackys in the gov AND the local councils.
    lets face it, none of em could run a chip shop.

if it makes you feel any better, remember that only about 50% of any local councils budget is raised locally.

if you want a real laugh, do a google search for hull council and their housing dept!
    Get some gorm.
  • mrsbudget
    Options
    HI,everyone, I was just on the phone and the grant is only available for elderly. So no chance for me.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You can get renovation grants property must be in need of urgent repair or unsuitable or overcrowded to get any. Also home asssitance grants but tbh if your council is like mine you stand very little chance. I waited 5 years for a home assistance grant and it never materialised.
  • moob_2
    moob_2 Posts: 485 Forumite
    Options
    epz wrote:
    im sure its great for all you guys getting free money to do your houses up but i do wonder why my council tax is subsidising this.

i dont mind some situations like great old houses that are unique or beautiful, the impression im getting here is its everyone with an ex council semi and you know its being run buy some council lacky with no clue.

Perhaps it's best you are informed on a topic before posting.:rolleyes:

mrsbudget:

Kinda as I said what would happen...local authorities don't have grant funding available any longer, and is only really available in extreme cases.

This is due entirely to central government funding, or the lack thereof.

Local Authorities will therefore plough any remaining cash into preserving their own housing stock, and private owners will just have to foot the bill for the upkeep of their buildings - kinda makes sense really, as many people in years gone by used to allow their properties to get into a disgraceful state of disrepair and expect the council to move in there and give them 95% of the funding to repair it - not a wise policy really.
  • moob_2
    moob_2 Posts: 485 Forumite
    Options
    ormus wrote:
    and its cause we got lackys in the gov AND the local councils.
    lets face it, none of em could run a chip shop.

I find that quite offensive, actually.
  • alba37
    alba37 Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Options
    The grants are harder and harder to get for private housing. If someone owns their home then for whatever reason eg ill or lost their job and cannot keep their house in repair to an acceptable standard IMO the grants are not a bad thing. An other option would be to sell your home and move into council accomodation (if you can get it) all major repairs are included in the rent, then when you have been there for x number of years buy the house for next to nothing! Not a great solution IMO, and the pubic must be funding more in that situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure