Cheap driving lessons

clkaz
clkaz Posts: 487
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
I am looking for driving lessons for next month.

Anyone know about any good deals, offfers on atm?

Comments

• anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    More relevant forums are I wanna buy it or do it - and motoring and public transport. Also see www.2passforum.co.uk

Unfortunately I doubt there are any deals as such, and you may find paying that little more gets you better quality tuition.
  • Alison_B
    Alison_B Posts: 2,124
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    If you give the region you live in, people can post offers for you.
  • If you collect clubcard points you can exchange them for a 4hr BSM lesson package. (£52 in vouchers.)
  • den169
    den169 Posts: 278
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Bill Plant are crap they learn you very slowly to get as much money as possible out of you,I wish i'd known this before letting my lad use them.He eventually found a good instructor who works on his own,And goes in for his driving test tomorrow.Again.
  • snugglepet20
    snugglepet20 Posts: 454 Forumite
    Drive dynamics do 10 hours for £99 after that its about £18-20 an hour depending on what you can negotiate. Don't know if they are near you but my instructor was quite good.
    P.S all driving instructors will try to milk more lessons out of you, comes with the territory I'm afraid!
  • Drive dynamics do 10 hours for £99 after that its about £18-20 an hour depending on what you can negotiate. Don't know if they are near you but my instructor was quite good.
    P.S all driving instructors will try to milk more lessons out of you, comes with the territory I'm afraid!

Only the cheap and nasty instructors will try to milk you for more lessons - most of us are very professional, but it's the cowboys such as Bill Plant and the others mentioned above that do these ridiculous cheap deals that are a real waste of money.

Any company that offers a driving lesson at less than cost price is desperate, rubbish and is not putting the pupil first. No self respecting instructor will work for less than £20 / hour because it costs a fortune to qualify and keep up to date, and if their instructors are being forced to sell their time for a pittance they are going to have to do so many hours to be able to pay their franchise that they will be too stressed and exhausted to give pupils their full expertise and attention.

Bill Plant lessons arent full hour lessons, on their cheap deal you only get half an hour, and that includes travelling time, and many of the others double up on lessons so that the pupil isnt even getting individual attention for a good portion of the lesson time. I often see instructors parked up during lessons having a cigarette, others go to the shop, eat their lunch and make phone calls / send texts - all at the pupil's expense.

Please do not scrimp on lessons - a good quality instructor will get you through your test and give you the skills to be safe for life in a reasonable amount of time depending on your ability ..... a cheap instructor means you will have to take multiple tests, will only drive on test routes and will not know much of the information you need to be safe and to enjoy your driving once you do pass.

Your best way to find a decent instructor is word of mouth - ask around and find someone recommended by friends / family etc. Also have a look at the SmartLearners website (sorry I cant post the link but it's a co.uk !) - it's an excellent source of information and hints / tips. And good luck :-) !!
  • den169 wrote: »
    Bill Plant are crap they learn you very slowly to get as much money as possible out of you,I wish i'd known this before letting my lad use them.He eventually found a good instructor who works on his own,And goes in for his driving test tomorrow.Again.

My brother learnt with them and they didn't do anything of the sort. You must have had a dodgy instructor. They're a national company so they're not all like that.
  • Broken_hearted
    Broken_hearted Posts: 9,553 Forumite
    Found BSM to do the same. The instructor wasted hours of my time just driving round without learning anything new. He destroyed my confidence by constantly hitting the brake or clutch, in the end I got my money back after many complaints.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• 2520years
    2520years Posts: 285
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I used to be a Driving Instructor.

What I'd advise is you find a local self-employed instructor who's recommended. If you don't know anyone recommended ring three or four and decide by how they spoke to you, not by the price. In the long run you'll save money on lessons if the instructor is trustworthy.

In my opinion most instructors want to be self-employed so they don't have to give a franchise (AA, BSM etc.) a percentage of their takings.

If an instructor isn't successful on his own he will apply at a franchise so that he gets more regular work. This leads to some of the lesser instructors working at franchises. I'm not saying this is the case with every instructor, but I wouldn't recommend paying over the odds when you're not guaranteed a better instructor.

I hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport