Housing Benefit whilst on SSP?

Hi everyone

I have just gone on to SSP, and went to the gov website. I went through the calculator, and it is telling me that I still need to pay £65.35 rent a month and 20.11 council tax, even though I am on SSP.

Is this wrong as if you are on ESA work related goup which is about the same as SSP you do not pay any rent at all?

Somebody please help as I am stuffed if I have to pay rent it actually works out better for me to hand my notice in and claim JSA!
Baby Mazza due New Years Day 2013!

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Do you have any other income, and do you live alone?

What is the relevant LHA rate for your area, and how much rent do you pay? How old are you?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • mazza1985
    mazza1985 Posts: 354 Forumite
    I live alone, do not have any other income. Im currently going through the painful process of filling out the DLA form.

Im 23, and I live in a housing association studio flat. My rent is £68 a week. I can't claim LHA because its social housing so the claim has to go through housing benefit.
  • dmg24
    OK, without checking your figures, the reason that you have to pay some money towards your rent is because your income is above that which the govt says you need to live off. You get approx £80 per week, whereas the govt says you only need to live off approx £52. Anything over that amount is classed as excess income, and some of this is deducted from your HB award.

Some people on ESA do have to pay towards their rent, depending on household income and the rate that they are entitled to.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • mazza1985
    There is no way i can afford £65 a month rent and £20 a month council tax........ I've worked part time before and earnt more than SSP yet paid less rent...... The whole system is messed up.

I've just had to come to terms with the fact that I have had to default on all my debts, my income is a quarter of what it was, I've being paying £200 a month tax an NI for the last 2 years and now I'm sick I get told I have to live off £79 a week AND still pay a weeks rent every month. Im going to be £100 short every month for my bills!

I really dont know what I'm going to do...............
  • dmg24
    Why not post your SOA on the Debtfree Wanabee board? You can manage on the income that you have. You will have to go without luxuries, but it is possible - many of us are proof of that.

SSP works out approx £345 per month. Deducting your rent and CT from that still gives you £260, or £60 per week. If you make cutbacks, you can live on £60 per week.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • mazza1985
    Thats a good idea, thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts