Freeview signal/aerial problem

2»

Comments

• Amba_Gambla
    Amba_Gambla Posts: 12,107
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    TBH, we get half decent reception, but if you shuffle the box around a bit (rest on a few dvds, move forwards/backwards etc - it's hanging off the front of the video recorder at the mo!) then you can get much better reception.....

Just shuffle your box around a bit - we can even use the red button on news 24 now!

we're about 20 miles from Emley Moor Mast too.... (if that has any bearing on anything!!)
  • malima
    malima Posts: 297 Forumite
    hi pls can any one help me too?
    My main tv is just working on a sky signal,we don't have an outdoor aerial,so how can i get my tv to work upstairs?Can i buy an "aerial booster" or something like that.I'd also like preview on it too.
    Thanks in advance.
  • gizmoleeds
    gizmoleeds Posts: 2,232
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    malima wrote:
    hi pls can any one help me too?
    My main tv is just working on a sky signal,we don't have an outdoor aerial,so how can i get my tv to work upstairs?Can i buy an "aerial booster" or something like that.I'd also like preview on it too.
    Thanks in advance.
    For normal TV signals you just need an indoor aerial:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5342859/Trail/C%24cip%3D28956.Sound%2Band%2Bvision%3EC%24cip%3D28957.Accessories%2Band%2Bbatteries%3EC%24cip%3D28963.Television%2Baerials%2Band%2Bboosters.htm

Like this one

For freeview what you need depends on your proximity to the transmitter - try putting your postcode into this website to see what it says:

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

Look at the last box on the line of data which comes up.

You will probably need a roof aerial fitting though.
  • malima
    malima Posts: 297 Forumite
    Thanks very much for your help Gizmo,thats my son's room sorted,now to do my room.
  • Hi
    Mine says i need a "set top antenna" - i assume thats just an indoor aerial.

Although on the second row, it says the suggestion is "log periodic" of which i have no idea what it means.
  • 2ax
    2ax Posts: 645 Forumite
    Log periodic is a type of wider bandwidth aerial (presumably some of your channels are widely spaced). In looks, the aerial elements taper in length from one end of the aerial to the other, instead of nearly all the same size.
  • tigermatt
    tigermatt Posts: 1,927
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    2ax wrote:
    Log periodic is a type of wider bandwidth aerial (presumably some of your channels are widely spaced). In looks, the aerial elements taper in length from one end of the aerial to the other, instead of nearly all the same size.
    Here's a definition of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Log-periodic from WikiPedia.
  • 2ax wrote:

Thanks - are they easily available? - It's just a set top antenna which is shaped like a "triangle" (apologies for the lack of terminology!) isn't it or does it go on the roof?
  • jon_r_2
    jon_r_2 Posts: 344 Forumite
    go to bbc home page,type in TV Transmitters,then follow the links you will end up in your region where you can click on either analogue or digital tv, from there it will give you details on transmitters,channels, power and the aerial group required and its polarisation. A log periodic aerial is used to cover the WHOLE of the tv band ie channels 21-68, 21 being the 'long' elements 68 being 'short',but you can buy an aerial to cover 21-37 or 37-68 Log perodic aerial will only work in a really strong signal strength area.
    never put off buying a bargain today,it may be gone tomorrow
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport