Co-op bank ppi

Greetings Everyone,

I have a claim ongoing since July 2008 which has been with the FOS since December 2008 due to reaching deadlock with the CO-OP BANK.

This claim relates to 9 PPI Policies sold to me since April 1999 I have calculated it using the Office of Fair Trading DualCalc and it is a tidy sum and I believe it is for this reason I am getting the run around for the past year.

Now I did get an offer from the bank for just over £5000 in October 2008 but I declined the offer as it fell well short of what I was owed and they only made the offer on 8 PPI Policies and not the 9 I have had the one they did not offer on funny enough was the first policy I was sold in April 1999.

Citing that their was no agreement so I challenged this again by sending off another SAR REQUEST. The information requested turned up in January 2009 and in that Bundle of Documents was the agreement dated April 1999.

A week later came a letter from the bank stating that they have closed the complaint and telling me that I am welcome to take my complaint to the FOS.

Little did they know I had already done that in December 2008 due to the SAR REQUEST being late and that the complaint had gone well over the 8 weeks.

The Banks stance on the first agreement now is that there is no proof that any payments where made on the First Loan.

This I am finding very hard to believe because although I no longer have any Bank Statements going back this far it is a well known fact that as my current account is also with the CO-OP BANK and the bank account and loan account numbers are the same they took the payment each month even if it put me overdrawn.

Yes they made sure the first direct debit to get paid was the loan.

So that argument is very thin and furthermore this was the first loan I had and if I did not pay this do you think they would let me have a further 8 Loans of course not they would of defaulted me after all they where quick enough to default my current loan that is disputed.

Now this is still ongoing with the FOS and Im getting right pied off not only with the bank but also with the FOS due to the amount of time this is taking and that they cannot see though the banks tactics.

Twice the FOS has written saying there offer is right and fair and twice I have told them why it is not.

In march 2009 I was getting so stressed with it I was admitted to hospital with a heart attack this was not only due to the hypertension I suffer with as a result of a stroke and major brain surgery but also the stress of having to deal with the Bank and the FOS.

The FOS know this but still cannot deal with this complaint in-line with there medical guidelines.

I used the FOS 3 minute survey and gave them a bad one lol and amazingly they phoned me the following day to try and put things right.

I had a letter from them Friday gone telling me they have got things wrong and apologized.

This was from there service review team they say that they will now treat my complaint with urgency.

Time will tell by the way my claim is for approx £25,000 quiet a difference from just over £5000.

Will keep you all updated.

Regards

Pompeyfaith

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Hi hun

OMG I am so sorry to hear what you have been through, and do hope your recovering from all this.
    Blimey this must have been awful for you.
    Thinking of you and I do hope everything gets better for you very soon.

Good for you for doing what you did in regards of the FOS.......:T:T, I'm sure now it will all be resolved very soon, everything crossed for you and please also take care.XXX
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • Di3004,

Thank You, Yes I am winning I've been fighting this now for 18 months so a bit longer is not going to hurt.

Unfortunately where the problem lies is the FOS being inundated with PPI Claims and employing more staff who are clearly not trained enough to deal with complex complaints like mine.

I refuse and state my reasons then it goes to the back of the pile to be looked at again and thus not taking medical conditions into consideration.

The FOS Whistle-blower was right.

All I can do is keep on their bak each week and hope for some good news.

Regards

PF
  • marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    edited 20 January 2010 at 8:55AM
    Hi pompeyfaith, I followed your thread on CAG and must say I have also won with the co-op and "thought" my figures were wrong BUT when it was not the PPI that was wrong, it was the fact that rule of 78 was used in settling my loans. Its not the PPI as I can see with yours either and mine worked out to the PENNY using the rule 78 calculator (so co-op must have used the same) and I mean to the penny too and they were correct.

Sorry you are still battling this but if your agreements are standalone and not loans that carried onto the others (I cannot work these out) I can work at least one of them for you so you can see.

I would need the loan amount, PPI amount (both without interest). The APR and length of loan and repayment amount. Also if you settled early the amount of rebate against the insurance which would be on the settlement/statements.
  • Marshallka,

Thank You for the offer that would be most helpful, I did get your offer on CAG but was so confused I did not take you up.

Now some of these loans are settled into the next and some are not.

I do not have any settlement statements as none was sent to me all I have is a letter detailing the settlements.

Ok here goes Loan date 14th Feb 2002

Loan Amount £4000
    PPI Amount £951.11
    APR 12.40%
    Term 60 months
    Repayment Amount 59 of £110.35 and 1 of £110.05
    PPI Settlement was £514.53 in march 2003

Thank you

PF
  • marshallka
    edited 20 January 2010 at 10:20PM
    Marshallka,

Thank You for the offer that would be most helpful, I did get your offer on CAG but was so confused I did not take you up.

Now some of these loans are settled into the next and some are not.

I do not have any settlement statements as none was sent to me all I have is a letter detailing the settlements.

Ok here goes Loan date 14th Feb 2002

Loan Amount £4000
    PPI Amount £951.11
    APR 12.40%
    Term 60 months
    Repayment Amount 59 of £110.35 and 1 of £110.05
    PPI Settlement was £514.53 in march 2003

Thank you

PF
    Hi PF, did you pay this to term or should I say at what month did you repay the loan as you had a rebate so must have been settled early? Did you make 12 repayments and then settled or 13 and what was the amount you settled the loan at? I realise you say you have no settlement statements but to work this out we would need the settlement amount?????

PPI element of the repayment was 19.21% so 19.21% of your repayment went towards PPI being £21.20 each month. The total of the PPI payable if the loan had gone to term would have been £1272. You made 13 repayments (maybe 12) so this totalled 21.20 x 13 = £275.60.
  • Hiya Marshallka,

12 payments made then settled do you mean loan settlement ?

So £254.40 paid

On their offer letter the calculation is as thus:-

Total paid inc PPI to 25/03/2003 £5203.09
    Total would have paid without PPI £4643.45
    Difference A) - B) £ 467.50
    Plus interest at 8% simple from
    25/03/2003 to date which was
    27/10/2008 £250.97
    Settlement Amount c) + d) £718.47

This calculation is what is totally confusing me it is not in-line with the FOS settlement guidelines.

Regards

PF
  • marshallka
    edited 21 January 2010 at 11:56AM
    Hiya Marshallka,

12 payments made then settled do you mean loan settlement ?

So £254.40 paid

On their offer letter the calculation is as thus:-

Total paid inc PPI to 25/03/2003 £5203.09
    Total would have paid without PPI £4643.45
    Difference A) - B) £ 467.50
    Plus interest at 8% simple from
    25/03/2003 to date which was
    27/10/2008 £250.97
    Settlement Amount c) + d) £718.47

This calculation is what is totally confusing me it is not in-line with the FOS settlement guidelines.

Regards

PF

Pompeyfaith, please try to be patient with me here as i am posting this up before I lose connection (in case i do) as it really annoys me sometimes when i do these calculations and that happens. Please ignore for a short while as I may tinker with them again. Just for me at the moment;)
  • Thank You,

Sure I have all the patience in the world lol

PF
  • Indeed a difference of £84.42 just on one agreement then there is one which they are not offering any redress at all.

PF
  • marshallka
    edited 21 January 2010 at 11:57AM
    Thank You,

Sure I have all the patience in the world lol

PF
    Hi PF. ;)

PLEASE IGNORE THIS POST AS I CALCULATED ON 13 MONTHS SO WRONG.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure