Lost tesco receipt

This could well be in the wrong section.. sorry if so.. :o

I bought a TV / home cinema package from Tesco almost a year ago. Both items are on the blink now, and need taking back. But I've lost my receipt, and have no other proof of purchase at all.

Would anyone know how I can go about getting a replacement receipt?

Comments

• Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Did you use a bank card or credit card? then there would be proof of purchase on your statement.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • If you used a clubcard then they can trace the purchase that way.. ask/phone customer services..
    Bit of a Florida Fan :j
    8/12/08 Highlands Reserve, 3/12/09 Calaby Parc
    18/8/10 Villa Upper Class 19/12/10 Villa Upper Class
    10/08/11 C P Tower Lake 10/12/11 C P Tower Lake
    28/4/12 Emerald Island 22/7/12 Florida for 6 weeks
    13/12/12 4 weeks C P Tower Lake 13/2 Prize win Orlando
  • exel1966
    exel1966 Posts: 4,978 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jammin wrote: »

I bought a TV / home cinema package from Tesco almost a year ago. Both items are on the blink now, and need taking back. But I've lost my receipt, and have no other proof of purchase at all.

Under law a receipt is NOT required should you encounter any problems with goods purchased.
    All you have to do is prove that the goods were purchased from the store and that can be done by all the methods highlighted above.
    However general shopfloor staff will probably not be aware of that, so you should seek out someone senior within the store.
  • jammin wrote: »

I had a similar experience recently with my laptop which I had bought in Tesco and was very close to the end of 12 month warranty. I couldn't find the receipt anywhere so just thought I would phone them anyway and chance my luck.
    They were very helpful and said that they could authorise the repair anyway. A confirmation email was sent immediately and I had a contact number for courier who picked laptop up the next morning.
    I phoned Gateway who were doing the repairs and they said that they checked the reference number from the laptop which confirmed when that make/model was manufactured and that they allow 15 months from the date of manufacture so they are not that interested in the receipt unless it is over 15 months old.

I had my laptop back in perfect working order (with nothing missing) in 6 days (including the weekend!!)

Maybe I was just lucky but it would be worth giving Tesco a call to see if they can do anything for you.
  • 2boysmum
    2boysmum Posts: 392 Forumite
    Have you called the electrical helpline? 0845 456 6767. I used to work for Tesco, and yes excel we were aware that a receipt is not required, however Tesco policy is, or was that customers are required to call the electrical helpline so that they can arrange a repair or if the product cannot be repaired they will give you a reference number for you to return it to the store

Hope this helps
  • exel1966
    exel1966 Posts: 4,978 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    2boysmum wrote: »
    Have you called the electrical helpline? 0845 456 6767. I used to work for Tesco, and yes excel we were aware that a receipt is not required, however Tesco policy is, or was that customers are required to call the electrical helpline so that they can arrange a repair or if the product cannot be repaired they will give you a reference number for you to return it to the store

Hope this helps

You may be, but most general shopfloor staff are clearly NOT, just as most general customer service are not aware of consumer rights and quite often misinform customers ! That probably comes down to lack of proper training in these areas.
    It's blatently obvious as when I've tried to return things you get the usual response of "sorry if you haven't got the receipt etc" which is all hogwash and until you ask for the Store Manager you may as well talk to a brick wall !

Tesco policy may well be that there is a requirement to call an expensive national rate number, but their policy doesn't outweigh that of the law !
  • I'm not trying to stick up for them as I no longer work there as they have many other policies which I didn't agree with, however thats another story. I was only trying to pass on some information as I found that the helpline managed to help customers better sometimes than we could instore, they can also help with tracing receipts with clubcard as the instore system only goes back a few months
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure