Parking Restrictions - single yellow line

balsingh
balsingh Posts: 1,493 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Got a ticket the other day for being parked on a single yellow line. The restriction was until 8pm but I thought it was 6.30pm. My query is that the road was long and there was one sign at one end and nothign else along the whole length of the road. Is there any hard and fast rule about how far apart there must be signs or is the one sign at one of the of the road adequate to enforce the restriction? I dont see why someone should have to walk 200 yards to see the only sign on a road!!
If you found my comment helpful, please click the 'Thanks' button below :T

Comments

• Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Had a quick look, but it appears they has to be a sign nearby to indicate the times

"A single yellow line means that there is no waiting at certain times shown on the nearby sign"

http://www.leics.gov.uk/index/highways/road_safety_traffic_mgmt/yellow_lines.htm

http://www.parking-appeals.gov.uk/RegAndLeg/parkingRegu.asp
  • Happychappy
    Happychappy Posts: 2,936 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A little walk to confirm is better then making it up and setting the law according to "Your thought of the day" possibly an expensive thought ?
  • Revisit the area if you can, check the line is barred at either end.

Also go to www.pepipoo.com and ask there since they'll offer much better advice.
    A little walk to confirm is better then making it up and setting the law according to "Your thought of the day" possibly an expensive thought ?

The problem is that local councils often set the law according to their own rules (unlawful), and rarely are called to account for them.
  • i got a ticket for parking on single yellow line, but the line is about 10 meters long and is NOT barred at ends.do I have a chance to not pay a fine because of that. any advice please. there are no signs indicating restrictions, this is permit holder area only, and i have a permit.
  • Unless anyone knows anything different I think a sign must be at each end and at a spacing of 30 metre in between.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 November 2009 at 2:24PM
    Dont know if you two have noticed but the original post is 18 months old.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    edited 15 November 2009 at 1:57PM
    McKneff wrote: »
    Dont know if you two have noticed but the original post is 18 months old.

:rotfl:

[strike]You need to look at the TSRGD I think it might be 50m from any point to a sign, so signs to be 100m apart.[/strike]

Flankers,
    Can you post a picture of the line/surrounding area? And what parking contravention code is on your ticket?
  • I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Having just looked at TSRGD

I have come to the following conclusions, not too technically written and ommitting rather a lot to say the least.....

1. A yellow road marking should not be placed except where accompanied by a sign on the same suide of the road as the marking.
    2. A sign should not be placed except in conjunction with a road marking
    on the same side of the road.

The relevant single yellow marking is diagram 1017 must conform to the diagram with bars at the ends.
    The relevant sign is diagram 639

The relevant Direction is Directions 24 & 25
    The signs may be ommitted if the area is within a 'Zone' the Zone must have 'Zone' signs at the entrance to the zone on all entry roads.

So to conclude, There only needs to be 1 sign on the same side of the road as the markings and the sign needs to be in conjunction with the road markings. Both the sign and the markings must conform to standard.
  • YOU CAN STOP (NOT PARK) TO PICK UP OR SET DOWN PASSENGERS ON SINGLE/ DOUBLE YELLOW LINES.

I believe the same applies to loading and unloading. There is a 20 minute limit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure