Asbestos Garage roof

Hiya all we bought our property about 3 monthes ago and have discovered the garage has an asbestos roof!
No when i hear asbestos i hear alarm bells!!!
1)does it need replacing now?
2)Is it a risk too our health?
3) how much will it cost to remove and replace it?

Thanx in advance!

Comments

• poppyolivia
    poppyolivia Posts: 2,976 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Is it not only dangerous if you disturb it?
    You may walk and you may run
    You leave your footprints all around the sun
    And every time the storm and the soul wars come
    You just keep on walking
  • If i could i would, but i cannot so i wont, but maybe one day i will.
  • Stageshoot
    Stageshoot Posts: 592 Forumite
    NO risk to you, unless it is broken or flaking,

Make sure you have accidental Damage cover on your buildings insurance that way if someone was working on it (say cleaning it off for example) and put a foot thru it, or if a vandal was on it and it collapsed, then you would be covered for removal and replacement,

The Removal and Disposal Costs can be VERY high, so well worth it, removal & disposal costs for a single garage roof can be around £1500 and then you have the replacement cost as well.
    Over 100k miles of Electric Motoring and rising,
  • economiser
    economiser Posts: 897 Forumite
    Are you sure it is asbestos? I think it is many years since asbestos was used. I think more recently other fibre cement materials have been used not based on asbestos.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If it is an asbestos/cement product don't worry about it. You certainly don't have to remove it for safety reasons.
    If it is still in good condition, leave it in place, you can paint it if you like !

This web site has some good impartial info about asbestos at the front.

http://www.kingston.gov.uk/browse/environment/envhealth/asbestos_in_the_home.htm

If you are worried, talk to your local Council, not an asbestos removal company - they might see you as a source of money !
  • mrs_baggins
    mrs_baggins Posts: 1,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    as the others have said if its in good condition then leave it. If however people start drilling things into it or cutting bits out then thats the time to srtart worrying. If you DO want to get rid of it for any reason then where I live you can get a special permit to take it to a special site and garage roofs usually come off in sheets so there is no risk of breaking etc. The council will only accept double bagged asbestos. However if its in pieces or you dont want to do it yourself you will have to get someone in and it costs a lot. the only way of saying for sure that its asbestos is to get very costly sampling done but most companies assume it is asbestos and deal with it that way.
  • Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Our Council operate same system as above. If you follow all the packaging instructions, you can take it to a special tip.

We had our garage roof replaced a couple of years ago by roofing company. The part of the cost relating to removing the asbestos roofing sheets and taking them to the tip was only £200 - a special disposal certificate is supplied.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure