What happens if my flight is cancelled due to snow?

I have a flight booked to Canada for December 16th. Due to the recent snow and airport closures, I'm curious what happens if my flight were to be affected by the weather. I've never been in the situation of a cancelled flight, is there anyone who can explain the common procedure? Would I go on a flight the next day, would I get offered a refund, or could I end up spending Christmas in an airport hotel and not having any say in the matter?

Just a bit curious really...

Comments

• apt
    apt Posts: 3,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It won't happen because the temperatures rise in the second half of next week. You have the right to choose a refund or travel on a different date or re-routing.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    If you are travelling on 16th -why would you be spending Christmas at an airport hotel ?

I'm flying to the US on the 9th and I'm still confident I'll get there as planned.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • nancyo
    nancyo Posts: 225 Forumite
    I dont actually think your flight will be cancelled as its a couple of weeks away, we are supposed to get really freezing temps for a week and then they are to rise a bit, so hopefully you will be ok.

Depends who you are flying with regarding re-booking for next day, as if the airports are still closing in a couple of weeks their aeroplanes wil be all out of sorts and have alot of catching up to do, so I am sure they would put you on the next available flight :)
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Cityboy wrote: »
    Apt has given you the answer above, re-route or refund. In the event the flight is cancelled/delayed then you are entitled to be 'cared for' by the airline under Regulation 261/2004 Article 9:

Article 9

Right to care
    1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered free of charge:
    (a) meals and refreshments in a reasonable relation to the waiting time;
    (b) hotel accommodation in cases
    - where a stay of one or more nights becomes necessary, or
    - where a stay additional to that intended by the passenger becomes necessary;
    (c) transport between the airport and place of accommodation (hotel or other).
    2. In addition, passengers shall be offered free of charge two telephone calls, telex or fax messages, or e-mails.
    3. In applying this Article, the operating air carrier shall pay particular attention to the needs of persons with reduced mobility and any persons accompanying them, as well as to the needs of unaccompanied children.

Full Regulation here: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32004R0261:EN:HTML

Hi
    I notice this is a european regulation, would this still apply to flights to/from USA/Canada?
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Cityboy wrote: »
    It covers all airlines when they depart from an EU airport together with all EU based airlines when flying to the EU.

Non-EU airlines are not covered when flying from outside of the EU to an EU destination e.g. Delta flying from New York to London would not be covered, but the leg from London to New York would be covered as it was departing from the EU.

Regulation states:

Article 3

Scope
    1. This Regulation shall apply:
    (a) to passengers departing from an airport located in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies;
    (b) to passengers departing from an airport located in a third country to an airport situated in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies, unless they received benefits or compensation and were given assistance in that third country, if the operating air carrier of the flight concerned is a Community carrier.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, that's really helpful.
    We've been weighing up the relative merits of BA vs Air Canada for some flights next year.
    Uncertainty of BA strikes vs uncertainty of a non-EU carrier if there is any kind of delay

Having been in the USA at Easter this year, when the volcano erupted, we were glad we'd booked with Virgin (Hols) - they put us up in a much nicer hotel than we could have afforded to stay in and we got all our expenses repaid, eventually.:)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Thanks for the replies everyone. I realize it's unlikely to happen, but thought it might be worth knowing this information just in case. You never can be sure about British weather these days!

Thanks. :)
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Last year we were stuck in Florida after two cancellations due to snow at Gatwick. It was very difficult getting through to BA for any help. Thankfully we were at DS's place so accommodation wasn't a problem.

Going US Airways from Manchester via Phildelphia this year., so have fingers crossed.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • pollypenny wrote: »

Going US Airways from Manchester via Phildelphia this year., so have fingers crossed.

You'll wish you stuck with BA. :D
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Not sure about that. Gatwick seems to be particularly vulnerable to snow closures.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • neilbond007
    neilbond007 Posts: 2,111 Forumite
    pollypenny wrote: »
    This is my normal route. Flew home with them in January. Was lucky enough to get in Business with US airways miles. The seats were quite pitiful compared with BA / Virgin.
    My experience with them in economy isn't great. Once opened the catch to let the tray come down as the food was being served... and it came off in my hand. Another time I was crazy enough to ask for water and was told "can't you just sit down and go to sleep?".
    Lovely people :)

Flying ORD - LHR - MAN with BA this year in club. Looking forward to that one!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure