Saving money on your wedding

Hi there. I'm looking for some hints & tips on how to save money on your wedding day. With todays average weddings costing anywhere between £10,000 up to £20,000, I would love to hear any tips on how to save some money so newly weds don't have to start their new life together in lots of debt.

I'm looking for money saving ideas on all aspects of the big day including : the dress, bridesmaids, the groom, flowers, cake, venue/reception, photographs, hire car, music & entertaiment, honeymoon, food & drink and anything else I may of missed. So if anyone has any tips, or have their money saving experinces they would like to share. I would love to read about them. Thanks.

Comments

• paddingtondoo
    paddingtondoo Posts: 3,392 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Most of these have already been covered in a thread somewhere or other.

A lot of the answers would be get friends to do it or do it yourself, haggle, eBay and the pound shop :rotfl:

We started with a budget of 8k and have got it down to £6.5k including diamond rings but excluding honeymoon.

It depends what is really important to you. If an original designer dress is really important its going to cost :p
    Officially a non-smoker but still rounder than recommended :p
  • Jem8472
    Jem8472 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Is it me or does that question sound like it has been writting by a journalist doing some reasearch for an artical or something?

But as paddingtondoo says the wedding forum is the place to look, probably everything has been covered and there are plenty of tips there.
    Jeremy
    Married 9th May 2009
  • yes jem i agree with you thats what i thought as soon as i read it
    and hadn't read any of threads on here full of money saving tips
  • yes i have to say i agree too it does sound a bit impersonal/journalisty lol saying that even if it is and its published it may help someone else to save money on their big day..make sure you mention 'moneysavingexpert.com' now stagsden if you are doing an article :-)
  • ikkleosu
    ikkleosu Posts: 546 Forumite
    Definitely lazy journalism. Do your own research! :D Or quote your sources. So many journalists these days are taking stuff from forums without giving credit.
  • Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    well for one the first line says "tips on how to save money on your wedding day" why not "my wedding day" just seems slightly odd.

Steph xx
  • Bagpuss1973
    Bagpuss1973 Posts: 262 Forumite
    To be honest the best to not get into debt after your wedding is to save BEFORE the wedding
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure