British Gas spam calls - 08000724699

Options
2»

Comments

• PDC
    PDC Posts: 805 Forumite
    Options
    I just googled this number and found this thread, we keep getting silent calls from this number. Thank you for letting me know its British Gas I have to complain to about it.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you are an ex-customer of BG then registering with TPS will have no effect, as they are allowed to call you unless you opt out.
    TPS excludes companies with which you have a business relationship.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • retiredin2011
    Options
    TPS excludes companies with which you have a business relationship

TPS is completely ineffectual, I have been complaining about a sales call from some scamming digital satellite company (not Sky) that I get a couple of times a week and I still get them.

This has been on-going for months.

Now when they call I say, sign me up, and when I get asked for my method of payment I say, wait till I search on google for fake credit card numbers, then read one from the list.

Then they have the cheek to phone back and complain that the credit card payment was declined.

I even had a manager phoning back telling me to stop winding up the callers.

I told him if I don't get calls I can't wind them up.

2 days later I was called again.

Went through the same thing again and gave him a fake credit card number.
  • toolmaker54
    Options
    I also keep getting these calls from BG, after I changed to Ebico but kept with BG for the Electricity. I keep telling them its cheaper with Ebico, they throw a few discounts at me trying to confuse the issue, but as a low gas user its cheaper with Ebico. The last one I had was a few weeks back, I asked if they planned a price increase, was told no and the following week the prices went up.

If they call again all I shall do is what I normally do with cold callers, ask them to hold on as there is someone at the door, and leave them hanging on, the record of 20 minutes goes to the lovely callers from Sky.
  • PDC
    PDC Posts: 805 Forumite
    Options
    We keep getting silent calls from this number to our office.

Have contacted them and been told we've been removed but we just had another call today
    :(
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    If you are an ex-customer of BG then registering with TPS will have no effect, as they are allowed to call you unless you opt out.
    TPS excludes companies with which you have a business relationship.

Which some toerags (naming no-one in particular - Zenith Windows!) exploit beyond reasonable sense. We had windows installed in a previous house by Zenith, moved and took the phone number with us. We now get cold calls offering to upgrade the windows they put in (because they are no longer up to standard) despite us repeatedly telling them we no longer own the house. There should be a limit where if you haven't dealt with a company for a number of years they can no longer use this excuse!
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 January 2013 at 3:26AM
    Options
    What I find amazing is that while these phone calls are being made to get people who are doing their best not to be pestered my mother who applied to have her electricity supply transferred from EDF to BG over a year ago still has the order pending! The order was accepted and Energy Monitor issued but the transfer never occurred. I prompted BG online but was informed that they could not see the order (yet it still appears on my mother's online account). It was suggested that we ring BG to discuss. I took the attitude that if they couldn't be bothered to sort it out after being prompted I saw no reason that we should make any effort to make the transfer happen. No one ever contacted us.
  • Lplates
    Lplates Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    British Gas say that they have an opt-out number:

0800 072 4150

if you wish to opt-out of receiving marketing/sales/service calls from 08000724699.

I don't know if it works, but it may be worth a try.
  • cing0
    cing0 Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is no opt out within British gas online account management.
    If they have been told not to cold call, put in a complaint. Homecare customers get 3 months cover as compensation for such complaints (because this is insurance, FOS are the ombudsman, not OS:energy).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure