kindle fire hd v nexus 7?

Hi,

My wife wants a kindle fire hd for christmas but I was wondering is it the best 7 inch tablet for the money or is the nexus better? I have always had Ipads so have no idea about other makes.

She mainly wants it as an ereader but also for games etc

thanks
I would like to thank everyone who contributed to the Ramada/Days Inn BRG thread.

Comments

• Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,891 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    We have just got a Nexus 7 and it's really good. I think with the Kindle fire you are limited to the amazon app store, but with the nexus you can use the Google play store and the amazon app store. You can download the Kindle app and download the books from Amazon. The nexus is really fast and responsive, (I'm typing on it now).
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98
  • Brill thanks for that
    I would like to thank everyone who contributed to the Ramada/Days Inn BRG thread.
  • scooby359
    scooby359 Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yep, Nexus 7 - it looks and feels nicer, has a better screen, more more ability to change how it looks to suit you, and has access to all Android Apps not just those allowed by Amazon.

It'll also get updates to Android soon as they're released as it's Google's own product where as Amazon will take take time to rewrite and pass updates on to their devices, which means more features and better security
  • +1 for the Nexus 7
    Bug? That's not a bug, that's an undocumented feature. :dance:
  • Thanks all, just ordered a nexus now
  • grizzly1911
    grizzly1911 Posts: 9,965 Forumite
    Right decision IMO looked at both for my daughter.
    "If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future.".....

"big business is parasitic, like a mosquito, whereas I prefer the lighter touch, like that of a butterfly. "A butterfly can suck honey from the flower without damaging it," "Arunachalam Muruganantham
  • Yep - Nexus.

Kindle have the market cornered for ereaders - but the Fire isnt really one of those. The main + for the standard Kindles are the "real ink" type pages - which are easy to read in all environments, and the battery lasts for weeks.

The Fire is really a tab - not an e-reader. It doesnt have the e-reader specifics that have made the kindle brand. Its lower spec'd than the competition and doesnt perform as well.

Its not "bad", but its price point compared to the competition is too high. The HDs need to be priced where the basic fires are now, and the fires need to be sub £100. Then they'd be value.
  • mttylad
    mttylad Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    +1 for the Nexus.

Just make sure its the 32gb version.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you have a lovefilm account be aware that you can watch lovefilm instant on the kindle fire, but not on other android devices.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • I Just purchased the kindle Fire HD for my partner and have to say I am well impressed with it. My partner has an Amazon account as do I and I have lovefilm instant. I bought it so that she could quickly check her email, talk to family on Skype, facebook etc and watch films, read books and play games with my wee boy who's 2. It does all of the above, is very easy to use and although it doesn't have as many "Apps" as the Nexus 7 it does have a better Screen and better sound. I highly recomend it for people who like things that just work and don't like tinkering with all the usual stuff that Android brings. If I was buying a 7inch tablet for myself though I'd buy the Nexus 7 as I like tinkering. Only annoying thing would be no HDMI out on the Nexus as the Kindle can be plugged into a Tv or monitor and viewed on a big screen. Horses for Courses I think the saying is :-)
    Gave up trying to have funny Sigs..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport