The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Salmon Trimmings

Hi all

I wonder if you can give me some advice
At Morrison's today I bought a huge tray of fresh salmon trimmings for £1.20!!
I can freeze them now but the flesh needs to be taken off the bones and to be skinned. I thought that I would do that today by poaching it but would it be ok to freeze it then? and if so any tips?

Thanks very much
MagsyB

Comments

• Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Yes, poaching, de-boneing & freezing would be fine, or you could freeze it uncooked with or without bones too. Undoubtlyit would be easier to bone after poaching though;)

HTH
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • MagsyB
    MagsyB Posts: 70 Forumite
    Thanks Lillibet,
    I have cooked it in a deep roasting tray in the oven with just enough water to cover it and its turned out great
    Really pleased as it was such a bargain and tastes 'mighty fine'!
    I will de-bone and skin it now and hopefully have enough to freeze and some for tea - if I stop picking and eating it first!!!
  • sophistica
    sophistica Posts: 233 Forumite
    I love fresh salmon trimmongs from Morrisons. I pack is usually enough for 3 meals. I freeze mine raw in smaller packs. When I cook, I usually make soup or pasta with salmon sauce. To make the soup...I boil up some chicken stock (from a cube) and immerse the salmon and leave to simmer for just a few minutes until the salmon flakes off easily. You can get the salm,on off with a fork. Then gently fry an onion in a frying pan...add the chicken stock/ add some diced celery and some herbs ...dill is good but anything except sage or rosemary will do. When the vegetables are cooked add a tin of value sweetcorn, reheat and add the flaked salmon...and this is delicious. If there is plenty of raw salmon you can chop this off and make a tomoato suace using chopped onion, gently fried and add a tin of tomatoes or seeded fresh tomatoes and a little stock, when this is ready add the salmon pieces and when just cooked serve with pasta. I hope this has given you some ideas.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    I've just got some cheap reduced salmon trimmings and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for what I could do with them? I got a slow cooker yesterday so I was thinking of some kind of fish stew but wasn't sure what to put in with them. Any suggestions would be great!
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yummy in a fish pie, or a fritata type omelette ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • Mix with creme fraishe and fresh lemon juice and serve with tagietelle. Thats what I do with mine.
    Moving on up :o SPC #382 ~ £40 banked
    12k in 2016 #15. £541.91/£3000
  • jacky_horn
    jacky_horn Posts: 105
    First Post
    Forumite
    Ames wrote: »
    I've just got some cheap reduced salmon trimmings and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for what I could do with them? I got a slow cooker yesterday so I was thinking of some kind of fish stew but wasn't sure what to put in with them. Any suggestions would be great!

Cook some rice with a fish stock cube, enough water only to cook the rice and some nice veg eg sweetcorn, chopped peppers, onions etc. - anything that will cook in 10 mins with the rice. About 2 mins before it's ready, add the fish trimmings carefully to the pan, laying them on the rice.

serve as your version of a fish rissotto or paella - delish!!!!
  • nikflo
    nikflo Posts: 504 Forumite
    we have salmon trimmings mixed with a bit of cream, chopped toms, frozen peas and all tossed into a bowl of pasta.
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I feed them to the cat!

Sorry, was that not what you're looking for? :grin:
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    I make potted salmon with mine or fish pie

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure