Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

would a charity shop accept fabrics?

ca55ie
ca55ie Posts: 254 Forumite
edited 19 February 2013 at 5:09PM in Charities
I have a bag of assorted, unused fabrics ranging from upholstery velvet, dress fabrics to sheers. Would a charity shop be able to package and sell on these materials or am I wasting their time?

Your advice would be appreciated.:)

[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner][/FONT]

Comments

• moggymutt
    moggymutt Posts: 666 Forumite
    edited 1 February 2013 at 11:09PM
    A quick look around a particular shop will give you an idea of what sort of things they sell. Ask the shop first, charity shops vary so much from big national charity, very spacious posh looking shops, to tidy-but-full-of-absolutely-allsorts shops for smaller charities. Things like fabrics and wool sell really well in our local charity shops because they are now so very expensive to buy new.
    It's really kind of you, it'll certainly help boost shop takings.
    DONT BREED OR BUY WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE. GET YOUR ANIMALS NEUTERED TO SAVE LIVES.
  • hippygran
    hippygran Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My local Age UK shop will even take rags! (They prefer you to sort the rubbish stuff out for them though), as they can weigh fabrics in which are not in a sale-able condition, and still get a return. So would think bits of fabric, which are in good condition, and can be re-sold would be welcomed with open arms.
  • If a charity shop doesn't want them you could try asking the local schools. I have given fabric to both the primary school I work in and the secondary my three went to.
  • I do a lot of craft work. Myself and friends often buy stuff from charity shops eg, fabrics, lace etc.
    If you change nothing, nothing will change!!
  • Gave some huge rolls of fabric to a charity shop a few years ago that someone gave to me, they very willingly took them and said it could be put to alot of use not sure what they ment but seemed really pleased to be recieving it.
  • ca55ie
    ca55ie Posts: 254 Forumite
    thanks for your replies - am off to town to ask the various shops if they are interested
  • cabbage
    cabbage Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    HI

Not sure if you are sorted or not but I noticed our RSPCA shop was specifically asking for material. Not sure if its a Nationwide thing or local

Hope you got on ok
    The Cabbage
    Its Advice - Take it or Leave it:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills