Spam from "GSN" to e-mail address registered on Play.com

Comments

• bonzer
    bonzer Posts: 399 Forumite
    I've got it too to an address only given to play.com.

The links in the e-mail I got seem to actually point to "gsn.com" which is some company called "Game Show Network".

The domain the link purports to point to (official-adobe-acrobatx.com) has got fairly fake looking whois details in New York and is registered with a Russian registrar.
    8u87fhsd wrote: »
    Could it be that we are all just a bit too paranoid & all that is happened is the spammer as used a dictionary to email [dictionaryword] @ domain?

Don't think so as they didn't try any other address, just that one.
  • 8u87fhsd wrote: »
    Could it be that we are all just a bit too paranoid & all that is happened is the spammer has used a dictionary to email [dictionaryword] @ domain?

That would be possible but in this case my email wasn't play@...

My guess is the addresses have been stolen by someone.

The email being sent out is from an online gaming company, the links aren't actually to an adobe web address.. I'm not about to click one to see where I end up though!
  • halfer
    halfer Posts: 38 Forumite
    Incidentally, there is a discussion on a GSN forum going on today regarding this issue - no mention of play.com though. I will see if I can post there and ask if there are any play.com customers amongst them.

(Not hyperlinked, as I am not allowed to post links here - remove space to view)

ww w.gsn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=891&p=13307
  • bonzer wrote: »

The domain the link purports to point to (official-adobe-acrobatx.com) has got fairly fake looking whois details in New York and is registered with a Russian registrar.

OK, I'm now upgrading my paranoia to...

The email addresses at Play (possibly just the newsletter) have been stolen.
    The mailserver/newsletter system at GSN has been hacked.
    The link is full of malware (not visited). (Domain registered today)

There was an attack the other week via a advertising network. Wonder if this is the same people.. Play must have millions of email addresses.
  • halfer
    Well, after much faffing with GSN's terrible sign-up system, I've posted a note, linking back to here. We'll see if the flurry of email received by GSN members has anything to do with them being play.com customers as well.
  • halfer
    Dammit - credit card details cannot easily be deleted from play - afaict anyway. Hopefully when their PR machinery starts dealing with this tomorrow, people here can request for this feature (other UK retailers like Wiggle already do). Still, whilst it is unclear that sensitive data has been taken as well, deleting it now may be a case of shutting the stable door after...
  • pelago
    pelago Posts: 7 Forumite
    I also received this spam to the unique email address that I only ever gave to play.com, and have emailed [EMAIL="privacy@play.com"]privacy@play.com[/EMAIL].
  • halfer
    edited 20 March 2011 at 5:33PM
    Firefox users - don't forget to visit the site in question and then click "Help ->Report Web Forgery". This sends an anonymous report to Google, which is used by Firefox and others to warn users if the site they're on is potentially malicious.

(Edit: needless to say, don't follow the links in the item of spam. They'll report that your email address is working, and you'll get more spam. Use the links in the first post.)
  • If you want to delete your credit card number, you can replace it with a fake one:
    4111 1111 1111 1111
    Postcode: A1
    Phone number: 0
    And just make something up for everything else.
  • I too received the email this morning. I use a unique email address for each website using the plus addressing feature of gmail; in this case the phishing attack was sent to myemailaddress+play@gmail.com. This is pretty compelling evidence that play.com are at fault.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure