Loose change - best place to cash in?

Hi,

Not sure where this goes, but I reckon it's 'old style' saving.

Over the last year I've been filling a Whisky tube with my loose change, anything less than 20p goes in. I reckon there's a good 40 quid in there which will pay for some festive Whisky (will get a couple of decent bottles with the Christmas discounts in the supermarkets!).

So, I was thinking about taking it to one of the Coinstar machines, but they take commission and another percentage for charity.

Would I get funny looks if I took it to the Bank? Will they give me money bags to count out the change?

Or do I go in to Tescos and use the self service counter and put the loose change in coin by coin :D?

Comments

• frugallass
    frugallass Posts: 2,320
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    some banks only allow a certain amount of bags and some banks need proof that you are one of their customers if you aren't depositing the money

I always take mine to coinstar, I really don't mind paying the commission
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Banks will give you loose change bags. Bag them up and bank it in. The cashier will weigh the bags when you hand them in and credit your bank account.

If spending it at a supermarket, there's a limit to how much a certain type of change is legal tender. I think it's £2 for 1p and 2p's. not sure of the others.

I detest the coinstar machines that people use as they take so much of your money away.
  • DianneB
    DianneB Posts: 884
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi, well done!! first of all go to the bank and ask for a whole heap of copper and silver bags, come home count it all out then take it back, the cashier will then weigh the bags and give you the dosh!! Whatever you do don't take the cash loose you will be blacklisted forever! Then sit back and enjoy the Whiskey.
    Slightly bitter
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    HSBC have their own coinstar type change machines which are free for account holders to use.

My DD has an account with them so I use her card in the slot, plonk all the change in and it counts it it up puts it into her account which I then get the money from.
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • There's a similar thread here ;) I'll move this thread to that board and it may get merged.
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    faraday wrote: »
    Hi,

Would I get funny looks if I took it to the Bank? Will they give me money bags to count out the change?

many banks refuse to take bags of change. I am with the A&L and they only take 5 bags in any day from each person. Check before you go down as the refusal from the did offend me :mad: I then took the bags to the post office and they paid them into my A&L account which was bizarre but did the job.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I took mine to HSBC and they were really nice! I only took a few bags at a time, and tried to go when it wasn't busy. One of my bags was a bit short, but I just gave them whatever I had to top it up and they accepted that.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• As an ex-publican I can wholly recommend offerring your correctly bagged change to your local pub - especially at this time of year as there's nothing worse than running out of change! I don't mean using it to buy a round... offer it to the landlord so it doesn't get plonked into the till and have to be re-counted! :beer:
  • I think i'm right in saying that the Halifax only takes 3 bags of coins per person per day. Last time I tried to paymore bags into a second Halifax account but they wouldn't let me and told me to come back another day!! Not sure if this is still their policy. But HSBC took all the bags of change in one go :)
    :j Baby boy arrived 22nd August 2012 :j
    :jSecond menace arrived safely 13th February 2014
    :j
    Debt Free Wannabee 2015
  • kittiej
    kittiej Posts: 2,564
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My local post office says they'll take as many bags as I want as long as there aren't long queues.

It's a sub post office, I wouldn't ask the sour pusses in the main PO tho
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure