Warning - Nationwide changed their extended warranty terms

Nationwide credit card holders get an extra year warranty on most electrical goods that you buy with the card. However, they have now changed the terms of this so you only get the extra year on top of 1 or 2 year warranties.

So no longer any use on John Lewis TVs etc.

Seems rather sneaky as I don't remember being notified of this change.

Any know of any better card for extended warranties (without paying a monthly fee).

Comments

• nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The Shell / Citi Mastercard has a free extended warranty :)
  • Muffin99
    Muffin99 Posts: 125 Forumite
    Hello, thanks for psoting that, I don't remember them telling me that either.

But then again to be fair, I don't think they made much of this advantage when I first got it.

How do you use it anyway? Do you apply if the item breaks within that time or do you need to register your item when you first buy it on the card? Like I say, they've never really said that much about it! :rolleyes: Maybe just me being slow, although I did look through all the info given me.
  • Yes citibank cards are the only alternative I've found so far, looks like a good way to get a free warranty.

60 day price guarantee looks good too, and cashback rate is decent by todays standards.

Anyne know what the catches are?
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    Nationwide credit card holders get an extra year warranty on most electrical goods that you buy with the card. However, they have now changed the terms of this so you only get the extra year on top of 1 or 2 year warranties.

So no longer any use on John Lewis TVs etc.

Seems rather sneaky as I don't remember being notified of this change.

I had this problem back in July when I bought a John Lewis freezer. Although I met all the T&Cs, the customer support person said she couldn't give me the extra year warranty because John Lewis wasn't on her drop down list so couldn't be selected. :( I now see Nationwide have added the bit about up to 2 years on their website...
    http://www.nationwide.co.uk/popup/warranty.htm
  • I had this problem back in July when I bought a John Lewis freezer. Although I met all the T&Cs, the customer support person said she couldn't give me the extra year warranty because John Lewis wasn't on her drop down list so couldn't be selected. :( I now see Nationwide have added the bit about up to 2 years on their website...

Surely nationwide should have informed us about such a significant change.

As for your problem - you shouldn't take no for an answer. You met all the terms and conditions so therefore they owe you the warranty.

I expect they can somehow process it manually instead.
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    Surely nationwide should have informed us about such a significant change.

As for your problem - you shouldn't take no for an answer. You met all the terms and conditions so therefore they owe you the warranty.

I expect they can somehow process it manually instead.

Quite agree. Nationwide should have notified card holders about the change. I have also seen somewhere on their blurb that they recommend you ring them first to check that an item would be eligible for the insurance cover before you buy it.

Not too bothered that Nationwide wouldn't give me an extra year. It has got 3 years cover from John Lewis :)

Have had problems before with some items. Like Nationwide say they cover hifi including separates but wouldn't accept my hifi headphones even though they met all the requirements. :(
  • I just came across this while trying to register a new computer. Could have sworn there were no specific exclusions as to what was included or how long the existing warranty lasted. Damn.

I also didn't get notified of this, but being fair, never look too closely at all those leaflets they send out.
  • I have just checked with Nationwide Credit Cards Services today
    re: extended warrenty on some Hi Fi equipment I am about to purchase, they told me that it only applies to New Customers with accounts, after the first 12 months of holding an account the extended warranty no longer applies, I am quite surprised as I can't find anything on their web site to confirm this?
    Does anyone have any similar information.
    I was going to pay with my Nationwide Credit Card.

I also saw something on some old paperwork from Barclaycard which seemed to say in 2005 they also stopped extended warranty?

So do any credit cards still do this still?
  • Wammer
    Wammer Posts: 1,060
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have had a Nationwide CC for over 10 years and can still get extended warranty on new purchases. Last time was less than a month ago.

I would call the Extended Warranty people rather than Card Services

0845 2064466 Monday to Friday 8:30am - 6:00pm or Saturdays from 8:30pm - 1:30pm

• seth
    seth Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Wammer wrote: »
    I have had a Nationwide CC for over 10 years and can still get extended warranty on new purchases. Last time was less than a month ago.

I would call the Extended Warranty people rather than Card Services

0845 2064466 Monday to Friday 8:30am - 6:00pm or Saturdays from 8:30pm - 1:30pm

How do I register a purchase?

I got a spin dryer £129 with 2 year warantee but 5 years parts

Is that covered?
    Seth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts