Mitsubishi Pajero Insurance - Any Recommendations ?

Somerset
Somerset Posts: 3,633 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I'm planning on buying a Pajero, 1993 to 1996. I did a search on confused.com to see what premiums would be but ...... I only got one quote. Ok I've only got 2 years ncb but the majority of the reasons for refusal to quote was ' does not insure Japanese imports '. These aren't that unusual surely, I've searched on ebay and there are hundreds for sale. So anyone got any idea's or recommendation on other insurers to approach, who maybe confused.com don't include ? Just out of interest the one quote I got was for £300 odd, so wasn't too bad ...... but it's not very mse to accept the first ( or in this case ) only quote offered.:rolleyes:

Comments

• nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Somerset wrote: »
    the majority of the reasons for refusal to quote was ' does not insure Japanese imports '.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure these are all Japanese imports as they were never made in the UK. They're basically higher spec Shoguns.
  • Somerset
    Agreed, all the Pajero's are japanese imports - and 95% of the insurers that refused to quote on confused.com, refused because they won't insure japanese imports. So I need insurers that do.
  • Sharifa_2
    Sharifa_2 Posts: 689 Forumite
    My BIL drives one and is insured with Direct Line. Insurance is about £95/month, I think, so pretty hefty.
  • Somerset
    Sharifa wrote: »
    My BIL drives one and is insured with Direct Line. Insurance is about £95/month, I think, so pretty hefty.

ouch !!! Makes the £300 p.a. I was quoted seem even more reasonable.
  • dnc1781
    dnc1781 Posts: 184 Forumite
    Have you clicked all the links in Martin's article?:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/compare-cheap-car-insurance
  • Markyt
    Markyt Posts: 11,864 Forumite
    I'm with Churchill. £300-0dd a year, fully comp. Some insurers don't seem to realise it is a Shogun with a different badge.
  • david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    LV do it. my dad pays £172.
  • kaya
    kaya Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    We used tesco a few years back for ours, as its an import you'll need a thatcham approved immobiliser with the fitting certificate
  • Hapless_2
    Hapless_2 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Try Direct Line, you wil need a thatcham immobiliser with certificate etc.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget £420

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
  • nullogik
    nullogik Posts: 467 Forumite
    All Pajeros are Japanese built, Shogun was the name given to official Uk cars.

They can be distinguished because the UK cars never had digital climate control (just knobs and sliders) and the rear quarter window is fixed whereas the UK model had a sliding rear window.

I love Pajeros, they're much better than a Range Rover IMO. If you do go for one then I'd say steer well clear of the petrol engine ones as the do really bad MPG.

ONLY go for a diesel, the 2.8 is the best, with an autobox and it should serve you well. The mpg from the 2.8 is pretty good for such a big car as long as you are light footed.

If you can, go for a LWB model. The SWB is good around town becuase of its shorter length (parking etc) but the boot space is pretty poor. If you do go for a LWB then go for a top spec "Exceed" or "Super Exceed" which can be identified by their two-tone paint work: predominantly gold with either green, blue or brown stripe.

I think £300 is a pretty good quote. If I can remember its a group 13 car (correct me if I'm wrong), which puts it on a par with a Mercedes C Class and other such vehicles. By all means don't accept the first quote, but I don't think you're going to get insurance for much less than £300 - unless you're an 80 year old vicar who lives in the deepest of Devon and only drives 1000 miles a year.

PS. Why don't you have a look at the "Pajeros Owners Club UK (POCUK)" where you'll find similar people in your situation who can point you to particular insurance companies.

http://www.pocuk.com/
    Lack of money is the root of all evil.
    George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills