How much to have bathroom suite fitted ?

Comments

• BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    A little bit off topic but, I have a broken cistern, it seems old and may be difficult to get parts for, is it possible to just take the cistern (top bit) off, leaving the lower bit in place?

Are cisterns kind of universal or would i need to be careful that the one I was getting was suitable first, to fir the lower bit?

Is this a DIY job (thought I might ask my Dad very nicely!) and if so any tips or hazards to watch out for?

Many thanks and sorry to go slightly off topic.
    Some info on here:http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/toilets.htm
    First significant question is: What has actually broke? Closely followed by: Is it low level or close coupled? (see link)
    Almost all the inside parts are "replaceable". A low level cistern can be replaced with something similar, but a close coupled cistern needs to match the pan that it sits on.
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • Thanks BobProperty,

What a great and useful link - I'll be keeping a note of that somewhere safe!

From the picture, it's a close coupled. Basically it won't flush when you push the lever - I can see the bit that's broken - a strangely shaped plastic bit which seems to connect the handle/lever to something else inside that makes it flush (yes I do realise how thick I sound!).

One builder said he may be able to get parts for it although it's old, another said he woudn't and I'd have to replace the cistern.

Maybe I'll take the offending plastic bit to a plumbing shop and ask them first or try and persuade the Dad to take a look.

Regards
  • BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ......From the picture, it's a close coupled. Basically it won't flush when you push the lever - I can see the bit that's broken - a strangely shaped plastic bit which seems to connect the handle/lever to something else inside that makes it flush (yes I do realise how thick I sound!).
    If the handle move freely and does nothing it is the arm you describe as "a strangely shaped plastic bit" Does it look like the plastic bit on this:
    http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=70180
    One builder said he may be able to get parts for it although it's old, another said he woudn't and I'd have to replace the cistern.
    :naughty:
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • Hello BobProperty,

Yes from memory the handle moves completely freely but nothing happens. The plastic bit is similar-ish to plastic bit on the end of the metal rod in your picture except it seems much larger and (again from memory) is more of a rhombus shape. Sorry to be vague.

At least that's a start, I now know what it's called(!) - would you suggest I just take that bit down to a plumber's shop for advice as to whether they can replace it?

Unfortunately at the moment I can't find the stopcock to turn off the water supply in the flat so I can't get further inside the cistern to take other bits out. I think I may need firstly to get a plumber in to locate the stopcock or if it can't be found to install one (?) before I can safely turn off the water and then have a bit of a fiddle inside the cistern. Oh joy!

Thanks again.
    REgards
  • .....Yes from memory the handle moves completely freely but nothing happens. The plastic bit is similar-ish to plastic bit on the end of the metal rod in your picture except it seems much larger and (again from memory) is more of a rhombus shape. Sorry to be vague.
    Don't worry they come in various shapes and sizes. Taking it out and to a plumber's merchant or B&Q Wickes type place and you should find a match. You can always cut a bit off the end if it's too long.
    .....Unfortunately at the moment I can't find the stopcock to turn off the water supply in the flat so I can't get further inside the cistern to take other bits out. I think I may need firstly to get a plumber in to locate the stopcock or if it can't be found to install one (?) before I can safely turn off the water and then have a bit of a fiddle inside the cistern.....
    You shouldn't need to turn the water off. This is part of the mechanism that gets the water out of the cistern and into the pan, not the incoming valve which controls water that fills the cistern. That's assuming you are 100% right in what you are identifying :D
  • ozskin
    ozskin Posts: 451 Forumite
    I wish bob property and plumb 1 lived near me, maybe they do. I agree thats what it should cost but the previous posts for a complete job and tiles of around 1500-2000 is more like what we come across every day. we pretty much stopped providing a fitting service a few years ago because of plumbers charges and the hassle of managing sub contractors, cause at 200ish per day average where we are, and its a long long way from london, you can hardly add anything for managing them at these prices. if bob or plumb ever want a job at these call me. plumbers now often charge a hefty premium for their work
  • The answer is that the amount of work involved in doing a proper job including the preparation work, repairs, tiling and getting round all the problems that crop up. That where the cost is. If all a job involved was a straight swap of sanitary ware then there wouldn't be much of a challenge in the job.
    My location and plumb1's are shown, but I think you are "down south" to us ozskin ;)

and as for charging "a hefty premium for their work" :
    1. Don't start that again Plumbers and Premium Rates
    2. I'm trying my best to :D
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes it sounds like the link arm that has broken, 90% off the time very easy to replace, but some times you have saw them off.
    pop down to you local plumbers merchant and you will be able to buy one for a couple of quid.
    They also do 1 made of brass, which is easyier to fit and will give you more adjustment.

If you take the cistern lid off, you should still be able to flush your toilet, there is a hook attacted to the syphon( which the link arm attaches) just pull that up.
  • Thank you so much BobProperty and Plumb1 for all your help. You are both stars!

I second Ozskin's thoughts - I wish you both lived near me, but sadly I see your locations and you're both miles away, never mind!

Best wishes,
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

I wish you both lived near me

Best wishes,

I have been working in Stoke-on Trent and Stone today.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure