PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick daft question - can you freeze chopped onion?

Comments

• moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Pol, I have arthritis in my fingers too and the best money I have ever spent was £12.50 on a V-Slicer from Studio. It now takes me 30 seconds to chop an onion and it's always perfect and I waste less. It's the best gadget I own.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • trippy
    trippy Posts: 539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    moggins wrote:
    Pol, I have arthritis in my fingers too and the best money I have ever spent was £12.50 on a V-Slicer from Studio. It now takes me 30 seconds to chop an onion and it's always perfect and I waste less. It's the best gadget I own.

Can I ask how you dice an onion with the V-Slicer? I have one and it's the only thing I haven't managed to do with it yet.
  • It would be handy to have cut up onion's in the freezer for me, I don't always use a full onion or if they are small I might cut 1 and then half of another.
    became debt free December 06
  • tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Something I'm really unsure of is how anything frozen 'looses' nutrients. It has the nutrients in it when you freeze it, so how does it just disappear?

Fair enough, there might be a chemical process that causes a change in frozen food but no-one has ever been able to tell me why.

I'm not sure, but I'd say freezing things and canning them does not make them loose nutrients at all (things don't just magick away!) but may loose some in liquids etc (ie not trapped in the food) but again, I find this unlikely. Let me know if anyone knows different!

Fast freezing however may be different!
    Tim
  • trippy wrote:
    Can I ask how you dice an onion with the V-Slicer? I have one and it's the only thing I haven't managed to do with it yet.

Oh yes me too please - is it my wrist action that's wrong :confused:
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it :rotfl: )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now :rotfl:)
  • janeawej
    janeawej Posts: 808 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i freeze ready chopped onions from tesco in their bag then just give them a whack against the kitchen worktop to free them up! Asda and sainsburies (tesco in some stores) also sell large bags of chopped frozen onion which is cheaper and already free-flowing
    Member 1145 Sealed Pot Challenge No4 ;)
    NSD challenge not to spend anything till 2011!:rotfl:
  • ti1980
    ti1980 Posts: 1,528 Forumite
    How do you get the onions to stop stinking the freezer out?

I absolutely love onions so I chopped some fresh onion, triple bagged it THEN put it in a plastic tub and still the freezer smelt of onions whenever it was opened so I didn't do it again. Didn't think it was fair as the freezer is shared with my flatmates and we all buy things that the smell can easily permeate through like ice cream.
  • Ettenna
    Ettenna Posts: 639 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you want diced onion with the V Slicer you need to leave the root on and make 3/4 vertical slices in the onion from top to root then chop as usual. Generally it works but sometimes I end up with odd shapes!!!
  • Can I freeze chopped onions?
    May Grocery Challenge £254.16/£320
  • Can I freeze chopped onions?

Yes ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income