PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Ceramic sink: tips and cleaning please

2»

Comments

• I've ordered a ceramic sink from B&Q and am wondering how to clean it?

Can I use a sponge with a scourer section on it or would that scratch it?

I used to have a butler sink in my old house (dated from about the 1960's, the sink not the house) and I used to clean that by filling it with water and adding some bleach, which used to bring it up lovely and clean after leaving it over night. Can you use diluted bleach on modern ceramic sinks? :confused:
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi HairyHandofDartmoor,

There's an earlier thread with some tips on cleaning ceramic sinks that should help so I've added your thread to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • Aurora is it definitely safe to use bleach then on a modern ceramic sink? It's an expensive sink and I'm afraid of ruining it!

I will look out for Barkeepers Friend and try the lemon juice too.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • I second the barkeeper's friend,used it for years it's good stuff.Also once a week I fill the sink with water add some bleach and let it stand for half an hour.As long as the bleach is dilute it won't harm brass or gold plated taps.
  • Thanks, mrstittlemouse!
  • Astonish or the Bio Cleaning "Stone" from Lidl - not a stone at all, but a wonderful paste that comes with a sponge, which you wet with water first. Gets my grubby butler's sink sparkling!
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • pawpurrs
    pawpurrs Posts: 3,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have some marks on my ceramic sink that must be from pans I should think and bleach wont get them out, will be going to waitrose tomorrow, and will try and find this barkeepers friend stuff.
    Pawpurrs x ;)
  • pawpurrs
    pawpurrs Posts: 3,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Bought the barkeepers friend, and my sink looks like new! :beer:
    Its had marks that have been impossible to get out, I wonder if its made from borax?

Oh dear and thanks to that butter thread I put some of the wonderfull bridel butter in my trolley and its lush, I dont buy butter ofen as I love it just too much!
    Pawpurrs x ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport