ABTA/ATOL what does it mean?

Does it mean that we will definatley get to go on holiday if the company goes bust, or does it just mean that you get your money back?
I was reading on Tripadvisor that an american travel agency went bust and people arriving in Cuba/dom rep/mexico were made to pay again on arrival. Sometimes 10x more than they paid in the first place!
I am looking at prices for Cuba myself later in the year and the prices on teletext are very cheap, but dont want to end up with no holiday at all.
£100 - £10,000

Comments

• Moonchild
    Moonchild Posts: 802 Forumite
    If the company is ATOL bonded you will get your money back.

You can check a company is telling the truth here: http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=27
  • If your holiday is ATOL protected, it means that you get your money back if the tour operator or flight company goes bust. If you're already in resort when they go bust, then the CAA bring you home.

ABTA is the Association of British Travel Agents and members are bonded, so that any money you pay to them is protected if they go out of business. Some tour operators are also members of ABTA.

Not all travel agents are members of ABTA but this doesn't mean that your money isn't safe. Non-ABTA members have secure client accounts so money is protected as well.

Not sure how the Americans work, but the travel agency they had booked through may not have paid the operator which is why they had to pay again. This is not really the case in the UK as we don't hold on to your money.
    [FONT=&quot]I am a Travel Agent [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]My company’s ATOL/ABTA numbers are S0466/3973. MSE doesn't check my status as a Travel Agent, so you need to take my word for it. Atol numbers can be checked with the Civil Aviation Authority. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Travel Agent Code of Conduct.[/FONT]
  • If a company isn't abta or atol registered but you pay by credit card is your money still safe, its just you have to book another hotel? Thanks
  • Lulu58
    Lulu58 Posts: 318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Interesting thread!

What happens if you have booked and something like the current situation re volcano/ash etc occurs - what are you covered for then? Are all your flights, accommodation etc covered whether you are in the UK or stuck overseas?

We are thinking of booking something for the end of June and normally do our own thing re booking accommodation, flights etc. We are thinking of booking through an ABTA/ATOL agent this time.

Many thanks.
  • Incapuppy
    Incapuppy Posts: 5,713 Forumite
    Lulu58 wrote: »
    What happens if you have booked and something like the current situation re volcano/ash etc occurs - what are you covered for then? Are all your flights, accommodation etc covered whether you are in the UK or stuck overseas?

Try reading some of the many volcano related threads for information.
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    edited 20 April 2010 at 11:41AM
    In the current situation, don't risk DIY unless

a) you have lots of money (to deal with potential european expedition home!!)
    b) DIY is a REALLY worthwhile saving over package price
    c) you are certifiably mad!

I haven't found 'b)' to apply this year, except on self catering, due to the poor value of the £ (probably due to tour operators having 'done the deal' with the accommodation providers when the £ was worth a bit more).

However, saying that, near-time package prices are going up already as a result of the volcano, probably due to re-bookings for people who have been cancelled in the last week.

South west wind please Mr God - I want to go to Lanzarote at the beginning of May!!
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport