Tesco or Asda??

Comments

• luckymannn
    luckymannn Posts: 324 Forumite
    I've recently switched from ASDA to Tesco only because I was fed up of bumping into people I don't get on with.
    They are about the same distance from my house.

Things I've noticed...

Tesco deals arent as good (2 for 1's are no good for me really, eg: philadelphia cheese deal at tesco would be 2 for 1, where as at ASDA they would just reduce the price of 1 to a quid) (also, they NEVER seem to have any deals on multipack crisps at tesco)
    ASDA stock levels were always rubbish (regularly empty shelf of the things i wanted).
    ASDA fresh fruit and veg seemed to go off a lot quicker than what tescos does?

I think overall it still comes to about the same money each week anyway, they balance each other out.
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,053
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I used to just shop at tesco but now i use 'my supermarket' to compare the prices and i shop at tesco, asda, sainsburys and aldi...and buy what ever is cheapest in which. I take my printed list from 'my supermarket' and visit aldi first as their prices aren't on line. I do save this way and petrol is minimal beacuse i am lucky that the 4 supermarkets are all very close to us and each other. My dd is lactose intolerant and i've found they all sell different diaryfree things so i have to go to each one at sometime during the month anyway.
  • zippybungle
    zippybungle Posts: 2,641 Forumite
    Out of the 2, I would prefer Asda.

Personally I like Sainsburys, which for some reason some people think it's expensive. I buy a lot of Sainsburys 'Basics' and don't think I have bought anything that we haven't liked. Not keen at all on Tesco 'Value' products. I always buy the 3 for £10 Meat at Sainsburys, Basics Fishfingers (60p), Basics Fruit & Veg, Basics 'Weetabix'

I work in Sheffield city centre and there are a lot of cheap shops there, so I buy quite a lot of things from the cheap shops such as Jack Fultons, Heron Foods, B&M and Home Bargains.

Zippy x
    :p Busy working Mum of 3 :wave:
  • I prefer Asda - but I haven't shopped in Tesco for years now (I refuse to). My parents shop in Tesco and Mum is always complaining about the quality of the own brand products (they go to Tesco because it's easiest for them to get to on quiet-ish roads), whereas it's rare I'll have any moans with Asda own brand stuff. I buy plenty of Smartprice and the only thing I won't buy again is the coleslaw.

It's also rare that Tesco comes up as cheapest when I check my receipt on the Asda Price Guarantee.
    There is nothing better in life than writing on the sole of your slipper with a biro.....
  • mirrorimage0
    mirrorimage0 Posts: 3,918 Forumite
    edited 6 January 2012 at 4:07PM
    there is a pricechecker for tesco and asda on line where you can get refunded if one is more expensive. im lucky here i have all the shops within a 20 min distance of each other and use them for different things, ie tesco/asda/aldis/lidls i love tesco for double the difference though and stocking up on mispriced things.

will feel hard done by when i have to return to work after maternity leave as i wont have the time for all of them again

You pop your receipt into the price checker and if Tesco was dearer you get a voucher for Just The Difference (Same applies to Asda)

https://www.tescopricecheck.com/Pric...s/Default.aspx

http://www.asdapriceguarantee.co.uk/
    now proud mum to 3 handsome boys :j latest one born 10/10/11:j
  • Asda is always about £5-6 cheaper for me even taking into account fuel costs.
    Save £200 a month : [STRIKE]Oct[/STRIKE] Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
  • Clowance wrote: »
    why not use my supermarket and if there are things cheaper in tesco leave them off your online shop and pop in to tesco for just those items, buying the rest from Asda.

This.

I don't have an ASDA nearby so don't have the choice, but I did compare on My Supermarket for a full month's shopping list the other day (the Cheap Family Recipes one) and A came to £110 while T was £105. So I think it depends what you buy, and what items are on offer that week.
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 2,243
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I prefer tesco. I think ASDA has some good deals and I like the extra special wine usually around £4 but i always think they are a bit more 'family focused' with huge packs and BOGOFs. I like tescos finest range which is well priced depending what you buy and the value soft cheese. Im not brand loyal at all, just buy whatever is best priced for the quality.
  • Deffo ASDA, all their own brand food is so much nicer than Tesco, and cheaper too
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    tintingirl wrote: »
    And will the savings outweigh the loss of clubcard vouchers (currently around £150 per year)
    Wow, does that mean you typically spend £7.5-15k pa on food at Tesco??! :eek:
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure