PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May we discuss Quilting?

Comments

• spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Queenie wrote:
    Oooh :j oooh :j oooh :j *waves excitedly from the back* :hello: :j

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I was waiting for Queenie to get back online as it was she wot set the challenge. :D
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • Rage_in_Eden
    Rage_in_Eden Posts: 995 Forumite
    y'know i think it's a good idea that we're only talking on-line. if we were all in the same room it would be like honking geese :D or at the very least the "we musn't panic" scene from Chicken Run!!! :rotfl:
    But I'm going to say this once, and once only, Gene. Stay out of Camberwick Green :D
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    I once made a cot quilt in log cabin patchwork with embroired linen squares in the middle of each block. I got a pretty piece of floral fabric from a charity shop in roughly the same colours as the embroidery for the patchwork bit and used strips of plain fabric to join the squares together.
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Queenie wrote:
    (Hopefully the site will have speeded up a tad by then too) :wave:

ermmm....so that'll be Friday then!!! tee hee!icon10.gif
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    I think the nicest patchwork I've ever done was the Cathedral Window pattern. Has anyone else ever done it? Its quite time consuming and a bit fiddly but the results are absolutely beautiful. I always said I'd make a quilt but only ever managed cushion covers.... praps one day!!!

http://www.alternative-windows.com/patchwork-cushion.htm
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Rage_in_Eden
    Rage_in_Eden Posts: 995 Forumite
    well fascinating as this is I am off home. I have a migraine and have hung on until 2 (switching my full day to tomorrow so I can leave at 2) but am crawling home to bed. I'm meant to be seeing U2 tonight - Bono can I borrow your sunglasses - so a bed, some blackcurrant and lemonade and a migraleve beckons. I will drop in tomorrow...............
    But I'm going to say this once, and once only, Gene. Stay out of Camberwick Green :D
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Following on from the daily "what's going on" last week, I was set a challenge to get started on some quilting.

I sorted through my needlework box and I found:

- 4 squares of fabric, from 4" x 5" to 5" x 6", each with a border and a farm animal or 2 in the centre
    - a bag of wadding
    - various packets of ordinary sewing needles
    - about 100 assorted reels of cotton

What else do I need to get started? (We don't have any old sheets or calico.)

Right this minute? Nowt! :D

Where do I start?

The very first thing you want to decide is .... what do you want those 4 squares to be? I believe you mentioned a wall hanging?
    Ok, suppose you want to turn them into a wall hanging - you have 2 different sizes of squares so, first you need to make a choice:
    a) do you have 2 the same size? (ie: 2 of 4x5 and 2 of 5x6?
    b) did you want to use all four, regardless of size in one wallhanging?
    c) blast to wall hangings and do something else! (ie: 4 projects using one square each/ 2 projects using 2 squares/ etc.

Which stitch do I use?

At the beginning stage, you simply want to use an ordinary straight stitch to join the pieces together. The important thing is, to make sure that your pieces are the exact size and that the seams are an exact 1/4" when you stitch them togther. At this point, FORGET THE WADDING! Before you get involved with the wadding, you need to join your squares together.
    Tip: Measure twice, cut once!
    Quilting is really easy, it's the accuracy which makes or breaks a project (either that or you have to be really good at "fudging" any mistakes ;) )

I also checked my virgin sewing machine handbook and the machine does ordinary back stitch and zig zag of varying lengths, including smocking and various buttonhole stitches.

In the main, most especially for a beginner, you will only need to worry about the straight stitch
    - the zigzag function is enormously useful as and when you get into the realms of "applique" ;)

When you come to put your "quilt sandwich" together, you will be using three layers:
    the joined fabric pieces/squares (the quilt "top"),
    the 'batting' (wadding)
    and the backing (which you have yet to get)
    plus some "binding" (simply strips of fabric for neatening the edges at the end - like a frame; that could be the same fabric as the backing fabric or even a contrasting fabric, but I shouldn't worry too much about that right now). (A lesson on binding)

So far so good? :confused:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    In all the excitement I decided to bid on a pair of "ALL METAL HOT DROP FORGED PINKING SHEARS 7.5 INCH" on ebay. I was prepared to pay upto £9 as the postage was £1 and I knew this was cheaper than me going to town to get them. I've just got in from the weekly shop and found I've won them :j Only £7 and £1 postage so I've already paid and I hope to receive them very soon :dance::dance::dance: I can see DD getting her new "blinds", bedding and rugs for her dolls house as well as me recycling all the material I've got. Best thing is I will be able to do all this with DD out in the garden when we sort out our table! If we don't I might even battle to get the dining table out there if the weather forcast is nice for a few days come the summer holidays. Can you tell I'm excited? :dance::dance::dance:
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    :T That's a great price on pinking sheers!! (I paid a lot more for mine :o )

Have FUN!! :D:D:D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Helloooo!!! :hello:

I've been out at work all day, so soz for not coming back sooner.

I think I decided to do each of the squares individually and turn them into pot holder type wall hanging thingies.

So basically, until I get the calico/old sheet, I can't get cracking yet? :confused: And does that mean I also need to get the binding stuff too?

I'll see what I can find at the weekend.

Can't wait! :j
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure