Royal Mail Fee2Pay

Not sure where to post this, so put it here.

My partner was sent a package by her mother, from Canada. Last week a slip came through the door saying that a customs charge was due, for £21.14. She originally planned to pick it up from the local office, but after not getting around to it for several days she decided to pay online.

After going through the payment process, the website came up with a very confusing message. At the top of the page it said something like "Error - this fee has already been paid", while further down the page it gave a payment reference number and confirmation that payment had been received. She did not receive any email.

Checking on her online banking, there is no transaction yet on the statement, but the difference between "Current Balance" and "Available Balance" is £21.14.

She has tried calling Royal Mail, but they cannot trace the payment and basically just shrug their shoulders. Apparently they cannot trade the package using the package tracking number, but they can see that there is nothing scheduled for delivery to her address. They told her that if she wants to go and look for it at the collection office she'd have to take a copy of the confirmation email to prove that she's paid.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Any advice? Is it possible to actually speak to someone competent at Royal Mail? Or should she just go to the collection office, pay again, then dispute the original payment with her bank?
Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    RM & IT seem unhappy bedfellows
    not being able to track the item makes no sense
    If she got a card,then the item is held at the local delivery office
    taking the confirmation email with her should be enough. worth calling ahead first though
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 February 2013 at 3:17PM
    custardy wrote: »
    RM & IT seem unhappy bedfellows
    not being able to track the item makes no sense
    If she got a card,then the item is held at the local delivery office
    taking the confirmation email with her should be enough. worth calling ahead first though

Thanks for the reply... problem is she didn't get a confirmation email. She kept a screengrab of the payment confirmation screen, but the people she spoke to on the phone didn't think that would be acceptable. The money has been deducted from her account's available balance so it appears the payment was taken, but until it actually appears on her statement she can't know for sure.

It sounds like a trip to the local delivery office is in order, but that's exactly what she wanted to avoid by paying online...
  • custardy
    benjus wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply... problem is she didn't get a confirmation email. She kept a screengrab of the payment confirmation screen, but the people she spoke to on the phone didn't think that would be acceptable. The money has been deducted from her account's available balance so it appears the payment was taken, but until it actually appears on her statement she can't know for sure.

It sounds like a trip to the local delivery office is in order, but that's exactly what she wanted to avoid by paying online...

that wouldnt be enough im afraid(if it were me)
    handing over an item without confirmation of payment can lead to big fall out
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    custardy wrote: »
    that wouldnt be enough im afraid(if it were me)
    handing over an item without confirmation of payment can lead to big fall out

In that case the only thing I can think of would be to pay at the delivery office, and request a chargeback if the original payment does go through.
  • custardy
    benjus wrote: »
    In that case the only thing I can think of would be to pay at the delivery office, and request a chargeback if the original payment does go through.

to get your item I agree
    not ideal but it will get you sorted for now
    obviously I would be pushing for compensation for the hassle from RM,
    perhaps a refund and waiver of the £8 fee on the 2nd payment
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business