PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Stardrops: A Users Guide

stardrops.jpg

:A :A :A

Saint Stardrops, we applauded your cost effectiveness, we marvel at your multiple uses

Herewith the Gospel according to St Stardrops

Please post your uses to this thread

:A :A :A
HOW MUCH CAN YOU SAVE?: OLYMPIC CHALLENGE 2008
BRONZE 10% SILVER 25% GOLD 50% PLATINUM 75%
'Don't Stop me now, I'm cooking on Gas!' - Peggy Ollerenshaw - Hi-De-Hi!

Comments

• mumoftwo
    mumoftwo Posts: 1,903
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Brilliant, I am a newbie and wondered what it looked like and where can I buy it? Is it in the aisle with the cleaning stuff?
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    mumoftwo wrote:
    Brilliant, I am a newbie and wondered what it looked like and where can I buy it? Is it in the aisle with the cleaning stuff?
    Yes it is :):):)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • isualive
    isualive Posts: 6,970
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    excellent can't wait to get some. Do most supermarkets sell them?
    Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. ~ Mother Teresa
  • It's great at cleaning off burnt on food in roasting dishes and trays, who needs fairy power spray when you got stardrops! :D

But just a word of caution about leaving things to soak for too long (5-10 mins is all it needs) I soaked one of my roasting pans and forgot about it, oooops, so it was on the side all day and when I went to rinse it out some of the non-stick surface also came off :(

Now I don't know whether stardrops caused this or whether it would have happened anyway after being left to soak for so long, but I'll certainly be more careful in future!

PS I've found it in Savers and Sainsburys so far :)
  • clairefun
    clairefun Posts: 225
    Forumite
    excellent on glass oven doors, laminate floors, windows, and for shiny sinks and taps. Nice on wood and stained clothing, have successfully used it on my leather sofa for a few months now. I'm not sure there is anything it can't do! :D

My two year old tried to drink some the night before last. He spent the rest of the evening putting out his tongue and saying yuk - so the bitrex is doing it's job! (It's not poisonous, we rang nhs direct but they said as long as he's behaving normally (well, for him - he's 2!) - & isn't foaming at the mouth he'd be absolutely fine. Foaming can apparantly cause breathing problems as it comes back up from the stomach and can block the airways). APart from the fact he can reach places i was certain he couldn't reach, it hasn't put me off the stuff - it just makes cleaning so much quicker, easier, and cheaper - perfect!
  • At the risk of repeating myself, I have used 30 mls Stardrops and 2 ounces of Soda Crystals in my Whites wash at 40deg and they came up lovely and bright! (and I am very fussy about my whites!!)

I also found an empty Fairy Foam bottle ( the stuff that you are supposed to use on baked on grease) I washed out the bottle and added 30 mls of Stardrops and topped with water, then gave it a gentle shake.........

I have already used this lovely amost dry foaming mix to spot clean my carpet and some items of clothing, its pretty good IMO.
  • mumoftwo
    mumoftwo Posts: 1,903
    Forumite
    Hi all,

Bought some this morning in Poundstretcher. Wiping down the kids bedrooms with it and it's good. The only thing is, I read that people use it in their bathrooms and on their floors. Stardrops isn't anti-bacterial is it? :confused: (I couldn't see anything on the label) I would like to think my sinks and toilets and floors have been disinfected (even if for a little while)
    Didn't know you could use it in the wash. Does it not foam too much?

Any more good tips very welcome...:j
  • I use it as emergency washing-up liquid and also in the dishwasher when I've run out of tablets (which I cut in half anyway). Only a little splash in the dishwasher, less than a dessertspoonful, otherwise it foams up everywhere and takes ages to get rid of the bubbles!
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.
  • clairefun wrote:
    My two year old tried to drink some the night before last. He spent the rest of the evening putting out his tongue and saying yuk - so the bitrex is doing it's job! (It's not poisonous, we rang nhs direct but they said as long as he's behaving normally (well, for him - he's 2!) - & isn't foaming at the mouth he'd be absolutely fine. Foaming can apparantly cause breathing problems as it comes back up from the stomach and can block the airways). APart from the fact he can reach places i was certain he couldn't reach, it hasn't put me off the stuff - it just makes cleaning so much quicker, easier, and cheaper - perfect!

Actually this is probably my only complaint about stardrops - that it doesnt come in a child safe lid!

I use it for all floors, over doors and again as back up if I run out of w u liquid, clothes liquid etc...
    Me debt free thanks to MSE :T
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for the washing tip. I use it for washing up and I have a bottle premixed with water that I do my bathroom and kitchen surfaces with. Found it a bit bubbly for washing floors with so have stuck with vinegar. It's made a major saving in my household budget in the year or so I've been buying it [it's cheapest in Wilkos I've found]. My mum's so impressed she's bought some to take out to their recently purchased house in Romania!
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure