Cerazette problems

Comments

• I took it for a year and a half because Microgynon gave me headaches within the first couple of weeks. But Cerazette made me have horrible mood swings, I was either crying or wanted to kill everyone. Still had periods but they weren't regular. Then went on Loestrin and loved it but my new GP wouldn't give me a repeat prescription becasuse I'd had headaches on Microgynon. Now i'm not on anything and just using condoms but I's like to be on something else just to be extra safe (I'm really paranoid about getting pregnant)
    Emergency Fund - £7992.62 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £34,692
    LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • 4li5on
    4li5on Posts: 220 Forumite
    I've been on Cerazette for about 3 years now and had no problems since the day I took the first one! No periods, no side effects - no bother at all.

I went on to Cerazette after a horrendous 18 months with an implant - loads of side effects and I'd piled loads of weight on. I was in a really bad way and needed to get sorted.

With it not having oestrogen in it, it doesn't cause problems with my migraines, I've successfully lost weight whilst taking it, I have no periods or sign or a cycle at all. As for bad skin, my skin has always been bad but not affected by the Cerazette at all. If anything, the last 6 months or so it has been the best it has ever been - maybe something to do with the healthy eating?

If you aren't happy and comfortable with it, speak to your GP. As people have said above, it either works for you or doesn't - there isn't an inbetween. Luckily for me it works, but don't let yourself get in a pickle about it - get it changed! Hope everything works out for you!
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had almost permanent periods on it, was on it for ages but gave up in the end as the periods were causing too much of a problem, I never knew when I was due on and the constant bleeding was getting me down.

Seems like it either is really good or really bad for people.
  • I went on this recently, as GP thought I should try a progesterone-only pill.

She did tell me beforehand that like all pills it would either suit you or it wouldn't and time would tell.

I didn't have a period for about 5 weeks to start with, then 2 in 3 weeks and then nothing since and have had no problems with it whatsoever.

Some people just don't suit certain contraceptive pills. The great thing is that there are so many different alternatives, so head back to your GP to try something else.

Oh and another point - your husband 'isn't keen' on other forms of contraception? Tough! I'm afraid he may not have a choice if you can't find something that suits you!
    Thrilled to be DEBT-FREE as of 26.03.10 :D
    Hubby DEBT-FREE as of 27.03.15 :D

Debt at LBM (June '07): £8189.19
  • honeyD
    honeyD Posts: 855 Forumite
    Ive been to the doctor and she has changed my pill, although she didnt want to. She wanted me to keep trying with this but I said I wanted to change. She said something about depo and injection something which lasts 3 years :eek: but then put me on another pill called Noriday. Im hoping this one is alright! Ive got to finish my strip of Cerazette so yay to 2 more weeks bleeding :mad: and then start this new one. Lets hope its good and doesnt make me put on weight! lol.
    Weight loss November 09-January 10: [STRIKE]13lbs[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]20lbs[/STRIKE] 27lbs! :j
  • cally6008
    cally6008 Posts: 7,629 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Noriday works exactly same as Cerazette. I was on Noriday previously and wanted it again but F.P. nurse said that Cerazette is the more common one to use nowadays. I love it, period in month 1, spotting in month 2, 3 ... then nothing since :) brilliant, its a good MSE product .. LMAO
  • I've been on Cerazette for about 5 months now and have good and bad things to say about it. I have put on a bit of weight and although I have never had bad skin before I have started to get spots on my face and neck. On the positive side of things, I have not had a period since starting the first packet.

I was on Yasmin but had a change of practice nurse who explained Yasmin was an expensive pill and they wanted to move me to Cerazette which is less expensive. I tried to discuss this further but it was a done deal when she asked if I had ever had a migraine and I responded "yes when I eat strong cheese". From my point of view I simply avoid strong cheese but she advised no way could I stay on Yasmin. I understand the medical reasons for this and it does seem sensible, but the previous nurse was also made aware I had previously had migraines.

One odd point, I developed an allergy to the cold (yes really) whilst taking Yasmin but this stopped within a few weeks of starting to take Cerazette. This has made me very happy!

I also tried Microgynonbut ate for England whilst on it and hated it.
  • jenhug
    jenhug Posts: 2,277 Forumite
    I love it! I have no symptoms on it, no periods either! My friend also takes it but does get periods with hers, although they are irregular. My sister is like me, also loves it and also does not have periods. I wish I had gone on it years ago!
  • honeyD
    honeyD Posts: 855 Forumite
    I was going to post yesterday, but never got around to it, to say the bleeding has stopped only for it to start again today after a couple days of nothing! I was thinking I could keep trying with Cerazette but after today I think I will definitely try the Noriday when Im finished this pack. Sigh, so many problems yet I didnt have any like this with Microgynon! :mad:
    Weight loss November 09-January 10: [STRIKE]13lbs[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]20lbs[/STRIKE] 27lbs! :j
  • Mmmm I have been reading this thread with interest, up until about 6 months ago I was on microgynon, was fine for me no wieght gain, no moodyness, skin was great BUT I had no libido what so ever, never mind worrying about getting pregnant, I wasn't interested in sex at all, it became really noticeable when I missed a couple of months (forgot to make doctors appointment) and erm became very interested in sex again!

Since coming off it, as I didn't have a boyfriend my skin has really gone down hill and I do wonder what I will do about contraception if I do meet someone. I was wondering about other pill's, because as much as microgynon suited me I don't want my sex drive killing off again, and it would be great to have clear skin. Do get me wrong I will always use condoms too but like to have both (don't trust either on their own but together feel they are pretty unbeatable)! Having read this thread though I'm wondering what to do for the best. Obviously when the time comes I will go have a good chat with the family planning clinc, but even so its good to hear others experiences
    2009 wins: Cadburys Chocolate Pack x 6, Sally Hansen Hand cream, Ipod nano! mothers day meal at Toby Carvery! :j :j :j :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure