quinn direct

Comments

• mattymoo
    mattymoo Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    Sounds like the Ryanair of the insurance world :)
  • dkeogh
    dkeogh Posts: 8 Forumite
    kubisiemce wrote: »
    iwhy diffrence is so big in compare to other insurers?

Because you get what you pay for. The quote is less becuase it offers less protection. There are likely to be several scenarios where in the event of you making a claim you won't be covered by the insurance and will have to pay any expenses out of your own pocket.

I'm not saying Quinn insurance isn't right for you, I don't have enough details to say that, but I would advise your read the policy very carefully and make sure you are happy with the level of cover you are getting before committing yourself.

Good luck! :D
    the car insurance blog

mortgage debt = £89,468
    credit card debt = £200 (on 0% with egg)
    car insurance saving 2007 = £48 switching to esure - up for renewal very soon
  • This is a warning to anyone insured with or thinking of being insured by Quinn-direct. They refuse to pay out when they are liable by law to do so. I had complete comprehensive insurance with them and when I got into an accident they refused to pay out leaving me with thousands in overexpenses.
    They quoted from a commercial insurance document and on that basis refused to pay out when I have private motor insurance! No matter how much I argued and read them their own private motor insurance document they refused to listen and was so arogant to even after that still send a statement of refusal to pay out with a quotation from the wrong document!
    I had to take the case to the Financial ombusman who had to force them to pay out. But the overexpenses are still mine to absorb.
    DON'T INSURE WITH QUINN-DIRECT. DO YOURSELF THE FAVOUR AND PAY A BIT MORE ELSEWHERE TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE COVERED!
  • I bought a policy from Quinn Direct because they offered the cheapest policy on a insurance comparison site. I had an old car & didn't want to pay a high premium so I opted for third party cover.

I had an accident in November, the third party was insured with Admiral. My car was assessed on 13 November by an engineer sub contracted to QD. They deemed the third party to be liable for the accident, which he was. In order for admiral to pay me out they need the report from the engineer stating their findings of the accident.

It's now the 21st January & Admiral are still waiting for a copy of the report. I have been calling QD a couple of times per week since the accident. They claim to have sent the report more than three times to the postal address, fax number & email address of Admiral. Personally I don't believe they have sent it at all. I even have Admiral chasing up this report but to no avail.

I have no idea why QD are stalling I only know that they are.

I would advise anyone NOT to insure with Quinn direct
  • mattymoo
    Annie, I know QD have some weird working practices but in this instance it should have been Admiral inspecting your car and producing a valuation report. Tell them to stop waiting for QD to get off their backsides and commision their own report.
  • Does the fact that they are the Ryanair of insurers matter if what you are insuring is acrap car worth £500 tops? All I want for my daughter is legality- if the car gets pranged we just write it off. I've been looking at it as just another Gov't tax, so the cheaper the better. If she hits someone else, presumably the insurers' association (whatever thy're called) or the Govt force Quinn to pay up?
  • mattymoo
    If you are looking at Third Party cover only, then no, it shouldn't really matter. Your daughter will be legal and their perceived lack of customer service will not affect you since you will never claim off them.

Third parties may curse you but that is not your problem.
  • sizkar9
    sizkar9 Posts: 4 Newbie
    my 17 year old son quoted £2,100 for fully comp car insurance as a provisional driver. other companies wanted in excess of £5,000. i asked them why they so cheap they replied thats what we do. being a good citizen phoned them up immediately he passed his test (3 weeks later) and was sent an email stating his insurance would now be £6,700! in NO WAY was i informed of this when taking out the policy as i would have said NO then and there. they took over £500 and will NOT be refunding me the difference. BEWARE they might be cheap but their disclaimer of "price may go up upon passing test" is a one liner in a 10 page document and "may go up" does not in my eyes mean a 200% hike! they are a rip off and since this all the web sites are warning people off. Mr. Quinn is apparently the richest man in ireland and its coz of saps like us paying him for a misrepresented quote! he reels you in then spits you out! DONT USE THEM!
  • sizkar9
    sizkar9 Posts: 4 Newbie
    kubisiemce wrote: »
    is anyone hear about insurer quinn direct?
    i am asking becouse im a young driver with provisional license, from a year in UK.
    When I am looking for a small car insurance like citroen saxo or peugeot 106 insurance quotes showing me minimum 1200-1300 pounds for a year what is to much for me.
    only one company showing me a third party fire and thiet insurance which is c.a.750-800pounds what was for me a surprise thats why im asking did eweryone was insured in that company and why diffrence is so big in compare to other insurers? i was using confused.com usualy.
    thanks for answers
    hi. just read your thread as i've just been ripped off by quinn! how did yours turn out? yes a very cheap £2,100 for a provisional fully comp in my name at 17 years old but now i've passed they want an extra £4,200!! so i've cancelled! they missold me this policy and i wish i'da put negative things in google to see what shysters they are. they never told me it would go up. not worth passing my test!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    sizkar9 wrote: »
    hi. just read your thread as i've just been ripped off by quinn! how did yours turn out? yes a very cheap £2,100 for a provisional fully comp in my name at 17 years old but now i've passed they want an extra £4,200!! so i've cancelled! they missold me this policy and i wish i'da put negative things in google to see what shysters they are. they never told me it would go up. not worth passing my test!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

How did QD mis-sell you?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure