Getting out of Mobile contract with Orange

Comments

• d.m_3
    d.m_3 Posts: 152 Forumite
    I don't see the problem with 18/24 months. You just need to be a bit wise and push for more savings that make it worth it in he long run, and plan ahead a little... easier said than done for most though...
  • drbesty
    drbesty Posts: 967 Forumite
    If you want a £500 fancy dan smartphone for free you're going to have to sign upto a long contract
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    OneADay wrote: »
    Just a side thought - if more people try to get out of these long term 18, 24 month contracts - we might get back to good old 12 month contracts - I live in hope - come on ye people start moaning - I want more 12 month offers on the market. :D

Given the cost of handsets only seem to rise as they get more fuctionality you may get a 12 month contract but the price of the monthly rental will have to rise, would you be happy with a £50 a month minimum rental?
  • OneADay
    OneADay Posts: 9,031 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I can see that line rental will be higher but the choice of getting those higher priced phones on 12 month contracts should be there (be it with higher tariffs). What I find not so nice is like, for example, t-mobile suddenly ending 12 month offerings completely.

You can now get 3 year contracts so what is the limit?

And I really detest the "free gift" offerings which are nothing more than a partnership between retailers/networks and manufacturers to flog more products onto people. I would not be against free gifts if it was not the case that most of these end up costing consumers more in the end rather than buying separately.
  • d.m_3
    d.m_3 Posts: 152 Forumite
    OneADay wrote: »
    I can see that line rental will be higher but the choice of getting those higher priced phones on 12 month contracts should be there (be it with higher tariffs). What I find not so nice is like, for example, t-mobile suddenly ending 12 month offerings completely.

You can now get 3 year contracts so what is the limit?

And I really detest the "free gift" offerings which are nothing more than a partnership between retailers/networks and manufacturers to flog more products onto people. I would not be against free gifts if it was not the case that most of these end up costing consumers more in the end rather than buying separately.
    I guess thats what they call marketing. Some of us love it, some of us hate it, companies need it, people teach it whilst others learn it, and we just consume it...
  • KEV25
    KEV25 Posts: 14 Forumite
    I've just got out of my 24 month contract with 9 months left. After a LOT of complaining over my providers lack of customer service I simply sent their head office an email after doing a bit of research. I advised them it costs them aprox £4.00 to answer a call from a customer, my contract is £30 a month. So I will call 5 times a week for the remainder of my contract at a cost of £80 per month to ensure the cost to serve me is much more than they will ever make from me. I know it could be classed as blackmail, but their way of charging if you wish to leave is exactly the same, charge me to leave I'll make you pay to keep me. :) Try it.
  • Why have you dragged a post originally started in 2008 back into view? :T:rotfl:
  • Parva
    Parva Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Why have you dragged a post originally started in 2008 back into view? :T:rotfl:
    Agreed, just start a new thread rather than drag a two years out of date topic back up.

In answer to your question there is indeed a very easy way to get out of the 18 and 24 month contracts. Don't bloody sign upto them in the first place if there's any doubt whatsoever that you can't complete the payment over the term!

I'm no lover of the extended contracts that now exist but I do take on board that if I sign up to it then I am commited to paying for it regardless of what changes in my circumstances I experience.

I'm not trying to defend the mobile phone providers here but I really do *facepalm* at some of the requests regarding getting out of a contract.
  • KEV25 wrote: »
    I've just got out of my 24 month contract with 9 months left. After a LOT of complaining over my providers lack of customer service I simply sent their head office an email after doing a bit of research. I advised them it costs them aprox £4.00 to answer a call from a customer, my contract is £30 a month. So I will call 5 times a week for the remainder of my contract at a cost of £80 per month to ensure the cost to serve me is much more than they will ever make from me. I know it could be classed as blackmail, but their way of charging if you wish to leave is exactly the same, charge me to leave I'll make you pay to keep me. :) Try it.

can you go into little more detail how you did this ?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    mjones1991 wrote: »
    can you go into little more detail how you did this ?

you know the thread is old

anyway, he started off by sending a letter to HO
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family