Would you own up if undercharged?

Options
Poll started 28 May 2013

Supermarkets and other shops often get it wrong, whether by giving you too much change or undercharging you. But are you honest when it happens to you, and would you change your mind depending on the store?

Let us know what you do/would do by following the link below to this week's poll:

Did you vote? Why did you pick that option? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below clicking reply to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide .

To see the results from last time, click this.

Comments

• POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If I notice at the time I always say something.

The SAs always look at me as if I am mad although one recently did thank me and say that not many people would have told her.

However, I have to admit that if I look at the receipt later when I get home I do not go back.
  • TheFlyingGerbil
    Options
    I don't quite understand why people think it is OK to take the money from big chains? While you may think you are only taking money from a big faceless corporation and they won't notice the comparatively small amount (neither of these are valid excuses, BTW!) what about the cashier who may get into trouble?

That could be your son or daughter, not a giant anonymous entity. I work for a large retailer and customers often give me too much money - I give it straight back and would hope they'd do me the same courtesy if I made a mistake that they obviously easily make themselves.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just worked out that clicking on an option in the email (which then brings up the poll results) isn't registering a vote. As it now brings up the current results, I had been assuming my vote had been counted - why else would you be asked, in the email, to click on one of the options??

Clicking in the email used to bring up the poll with option boxes ready to tick.

Now it brings up the current results (ie you can see the current state of play before you vote, which is never a good idea if you are trying to achieve an unbiased poll) and you then have to click on the 'Vote in this poll' button to bring up the boxes ready to tick.

This change is confusing, misleading and, surely, biasing voters before their vote by showing them the most popular options.
  • Brian_Steele
    Options
    Theft is theft, whether it was by their mistake or not. If you notice it you should return it. After all, if they overcharged you, would you not complain? Obviously the scale is important: if it is just a few pence I might not complain in a busy store as it is more trouble than it is worth, but I have always made a point of returning over-changing and have had cashiers very surprised at my honesty. To me it's second nature, so I cannot understand their surprise.
  • itch_for_a_glitch
    itch_for_a_glitch Posts: 10,705 Forumite
    Options
    I expect to be charged correctly. I'd stand my ground if I was overcharged, so I would ensure I was charged correctly.
    I'd hate to think of a checkout op getting into bother for me to be a few quid better off.
  • walvert
    Options
    As an 88 year old I am very pleasantly surprised to see that moral values are higher than we are often led to believe.
    Walvert
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I check my change at the till and if given too much I say so.

If the computer says that the price of an item is less than what I saw on the shelf I assume that the price on the shelf is wrong and do not query it. However, if the assistant misses an item or enters a price that I know is incorrect I point it out.
  • towton2_2
    towton2_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Ever since I lost a money filled pay packet with my name on at my work and no-one handed it in I have said 'what I find I keep'. Morally wrong I agree but these occurences balance up over time.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If I notice, I'll point it out and give it back. I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping it.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • sweetpea26
    sweetpea26 Posts: 831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Two of my children have worked in supermarkets and at times have had their wages reduced because of mistakes. I would make sure to point out to the assistant that I had received too much. They always are very appreciative of me doing so.

Now if it was one of the self service machines I might not be so forthright...hasn't happened yet :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure