Deceased Husbands clothes/belongings.

Comments

• Not sure there is an easy way to say this so I'll just say it, are you sure you want to get rid of all your husbands clothes so quickly? When my husband died, I was advised by a friend (whose husband had also died) to not rush anything, give it time, you don't want to get rid of something and then a few weeks later regret it. Yes I did give a few things away that meant something to other people (they missed him too) but I've kept everything else, everything is where he left it. I still take comfort when I wear his jumpers/fleeces/jackets (they are far too big for me though :)). Her other advice was don't make any major decisions for a year, I think she is right.
  • harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Hi, so sorry for your loss, its really good of you to want to help others.
    I only really give to 1 charity and thats the salvation army,I'm sure they would be very grateful for anything you could spare
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • I_try
    I_try Posts: 126 Forumite
    I have passed clothes on to our local hospital. They are then distributed to those that do not have suitable clothing to go home in or to clothe them during their stay if their clothes have had to be removed. The ladies I have given them to have always been so grateful.

I am sorry for you loss. Good on you for trying to make a positive difference to others at this time.
  • flora48
    flora48 Posts: 644 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry to hear of your loss. When my husband died I sorted his clothes out and gave them to the Salvation Army. I believe they use what they can in their shelters and also sell through charity shps.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    my mum donated dads clothes to a local charity shop - I saw his best suit in the window and burst into tears. It was awful. If you donate them please make sure they are a long way from you. I
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    meritaten wrote: »
    my mum donated dads clothes to a local charity shop - I saw his best suit in the window and burst into tears. It was awful. If you donate them please make sure they are a long way from you.
    I'm with you on this! I've been bringing Dad's clothes home, partly because it's not so easy to park at the charity shops near where Mum lives, but I've made sure they go to shops I don't normally shop in, I couldn't bear seeing his shirts or quirky jumpers for sale!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Not sure there is an easy way to say this so I'll just say it, are you sure you want to get rid of all your husbands clothes so quickly? When my husband died, I was advised by a friend (whose husband had also died) to not rush anything, give it time, you don't want to get rid of something and then a few weeks later regret it. Yes I did give a few things away that meant something to other people (they missed him too) but I've kept everything else, everything is where he left it. I still take comfort when I wear his jumpers/fleeces/jackets (they are far too big for me though :)). Her other advice was don't make any major decisions for a year, I think she is right.

My husband died 18 months ago and I donated his clothes to a local charity within about 3 weeks of his death - for me, it would have been unbearable to see all his clothes in his wardrobe for days/months on end and to know that he wasn't here and to be constantly reminded of that every time I opened the wardrobe. I felt that by donating his clothes it helped with my grief and helped me to learn to live with my new situation and come to terms with a new way of life.

I also made many major decisions during the first year - again this gave me something to think about and a purpose in life and stopped me dwelling on how things used to be and helped me focus on living my life on my own.
  • I agree about donating to a charity shop at a distance. I've given a lot of good-quality clothing (weight loss, not bereavement!) to the Havens Hospices based in Southend-on-Sea, not too far from Romford along the A127, and any items have always been appreciated and no one has ever been rude about them. http://www.havenshospices.org.uk/

I would caution about putting things into the recycling bins in town centres. I used to do this, but never again, since I saw a local bin being raided and bags of clothes dragged out and loaded into a waiting van. Apparently this is a well-known scam, same with leaving bags of clothes on your doorstep which may be stolen.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • My husband died 18 months ago and I donated his clothes to a local charity within about 3 weeks of his death - for me, it would have been unbearable to see all his clothes in his wardrobe for days/months on end and to know that he wasn't here and to be constantly reminded of that every time I opened the wardrobe. I felt that by donating his clothes it helped with my grief and helped me to learn to live with my new situation and come to terms with a new way of life.

I also made many major decisions during the first year - again this gave me something to think about and a purpose in life and stopped me dwelling on how things used to be and helped me focus on living my life on my own.

It's odd how bereavement takes you, different in different people. I used to do shifts at the local hospice and one of the nurses there was going to scatter her husband's ashes in a favourite place in the Welsh mountains. He'd only died a couple of weeks earlier. I wondered if this wasn't a bit too soon. She retorted 'Well, you've got to get on with it, you can't just hang about, you know'. When my husband died it had been about 3 months before I could bring myself to do any such thing, and I felt he was telling me to do it. Same with his model vehicle collection. I used to imagine he'd be coming back and say 'why have you moved them?' I then went through another phase when I couldn't bear the sight of them, so we packed them up and put them into boxes in the loft. When my daughter died, my son-in-law was still recording TV programmes that would interest her, well after the funeral.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. One of my neighbours lost her husband in January - he was always such a lovely guy around my boys.

6 weeks ago she asked me to go around and help clear his wardrobe - only she had been through it first and pulled out loads of "quality" shirts and trousers and set it to one side.

I took everything off to a Charity shop 10 miles away - and we have send the last 6 Thursdays turning his shirts and trousers into masses of toddler clothes for my youngest.

She has had a great time sewing for DS1 - and chatting about / remembering her husband. Making over the clothes for the little man in her life has brought her great comfort - and he looks so gorgeous in the shorts , trousers and shirts. It has been a lovely way to remember a lovely man.

MG
    FINALLY AND OFFICIALLY DEBT FREE
    Small Emergency Fund £500 / £500
    Pay off all Debts £10,000 / £10,000
    Grown Up Emergency Fund £6000 / £6000 :j
    Pension Provision £6688/£2376
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income