IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

NCP Parking Fine... Should I appeal??

Hello!

I got a £50 parking fine in an NCP car park at a station, even though I had paid £5.50 to park there. They are saying that my ticket wasn't displayed properly. I thought that I had displayed the ticket, but I think that when I shut the car door it must have got blown over... and also I had some old tickets on my dash board.

Do I have any grounds to appeal? I am aware that they will probably have photos showing that the ticket was not displayed properly, but I did buy a ticket!

I'm not very good at confrontation and the prospect of appealing is a bit scary...

I would be really grateful for any advice!

Thanks

Grace

Comments

• There is no point in appealing, it will be rejected. They just want your money.
    Just ignore them and don't worry. You can see the usual NCP letter chain in this thread, so you'll know what to expect.

Oh, and its not a fine!
  • AlexisV
    AlexisV Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    There is no appeals process. They're an ordinary private limited company and will not turn down profit. Since when have you ever 'appealed' your BT or British Gas bill?

All you have is an unenforceable invoice anyway.

• do not pay
    • do not contact them
    • ignore their threatening junkmail
    • they will give up and go away
    • they will not take you to court (where they'd lose)
    • NCP have never ever done court anyway. Last thing they want is to be in the national newspapers - they're a big company and like to keep their scam quiet
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,633
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 2 November 2010 at 5:26PM

I'm not very good at confrontation and the prospect of appealing is a bit scary...

I would be really grateful for any advice!
    Thanks
    Grace

You don't need grounds for appealing against a scam. NCP may be a large company but their bogus parking tickets are no more enforceable than any other. Ignore it.

There is so much info on the internet - and it's been covered on Watchdog TWICE already this year - so don;t think that it;s just us saying to ignore it:

The whole MSE parking board is linked below, there are hundreds of current threads just like yours, with everyone ignoring the scammers! Happy reading, you'll find the Watchdog youtube clip on a top thread and also pictures of the exact letter-chain of threats NCP will send to the registered keeper before they give up:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...play.php?f=163

pepipoo fightback forums parking board:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30

Consumer Action Group parking board (scroll down to the mustard yellow headings to read threads but don't use the templates, not worth a stamp. Never acknowledge a PPC fake ticket, NEVER appeal):

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...ffic-Offences&

Or just Google 'do I pay a private parking ticket'? that will find results from the forums telling you the score. Please stop worrying, these fake tickets are meaningless and only useful as paper aeroplanes. Nothing happens to your credit rating and NCP don't do Court, so don't believe the letters!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Thank you for all the great advice!

I am definitely going to ignore it.
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thank you for all the great advice!

I am definitely going to ignore it.

Best bet, and just think the cold weather is coming and you can use the paper to light the fire!
  • Keep hold of your £5.50 ticket as evidence that you did pay to park there and never send it to anyone. It's yours as you paid for it.

I had a similar problem with a parking company who decided to put a ticket on my window even though I had paid and displayed so I sent off a copy of my ticket and told them I wasn't paying there charge for not diplaying a ticket and this was my proof. This was in June with CP Plus limited. Nor sure if NCP would do the same though.
    I've still got my ticket filed away and will keep it forever.
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Be interesting all this pay and display garbage when the winter sets in, do they walk around with de-icer or just place scam tickets on the cars ?;)

Not that i'm worried
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure