The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Safe to give out Sort Code + Account Number?

Hi

Not sure if this is the correct forum - therefore apologies if it is not.

Anyway I am landlord, a potential tenant came to have a look at a house on his day off work - he is looking to relocate and is moving from around 200 miles away. Anyway he liked the place and wants to move into my property in around a month. I said to the chap it is currently advertised and I will get other calls, therefore cannot take your word and will need £200 to reserve the house for you. He stated that as he lives far away, can he have my sort code and account number and he will pay the £200 - which he has now done.

I have references from the chap.

Anyway what I am slightly worried about, could I have opened myself up to potential fraud from this Chap by giving him my account details??

I did ring my bank, and the only suggestion they had is for me to take out a £6/month insurance type of scheme (which I dont really want to).

Comments

• Your sort code and account number are available on cheques and some debit cards. My Natwest card shows the sort code only and my smile card shows both. So can't see a problem really.
  • N79
    N79 Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    Do you ever write cheques?

If yes - stop worrying.
  • jrangi
    jrangi Posts: 29 Forumite
    Take your point with Cheques - but cheques do not have your address on.

I am just being cautious, so dont think it will be a problem
  • Absolutley-the only thing that the person could possibly do, is give in your account details to companies to pay utilities or charities/set up D/D's etc-and that's fraud anyway so you'd have anyone who did that-besides, i've worked in finance and banking since I was 17 and I haven'e ever seen anyone be stupid enough to try it. Or they could pay cash into your account (and who'd do that out of the blue)

I know it sounds a bit patronising here (apologies) but I just wanted to explain what COULD happen-it's perfectly safe to give out those details and by keeping an eye on the account in everyday life-should show you anything unusual!

Don't worry about it!
    Loan-£3600 only 24 months of payments to go!!!
    All debt consolodated and cards destroyed!!
    As D'Ream would sing 'Things.....can only get better'!!!
  • Gism0
    Gism0 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Anyone remember that story about Jeremy Clarkson? He published his account number in his newspaper column and someone signed him up for a £500/mo direct debit :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7174760.stm
    I work for Post Office, feel free to ask me anything!
  • DGJsaver
    DGJsaver Posts: 2,777 Forumite
    Scousebird wrote: »
    Absolutley-the only thing that the person could possibly do, is give in your account details to companies to pay utilities or charities/set up D/D's etc-and that's fraud anyway so you'd have anyone who did that-besides, i've worked in finance and banking since I was 17 and I haven'e ever seen anyone be stupid enough to try it. Or they could pay cash into your account (and who'd do that out of the blue)

I know it sounds a bit patronising here (apologies) but I just wanted to explain what COULD happen-it's perfectly safe to give out those details and by keeping an eye on the account in everyday life-should show you anything unusual!

Don't worry about it!

Surely a company cant set up a DD without a signature ?
  • ShelfStacker_3
    ShelfStacker_3 Posts: 2,180 Forumite
    DGJsaver wrote: »

Depends on the company. O2 and Sky let you do Direct Debits over the Internet, no signature needed.
  • dellwear
    dellwear Posts: 96 Forumite
    But even if someone does, the Direct Debit guarantee will kick in and you can get the money back instantly anyway.

There's little scope for DD fraud. :)
  • emmy05
    emmy05 Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Gism0 wrote: »
    Anyone remember that story about Jeremy Clarkson? He published his account number in his newspaper column and someone signed him up for a £500/mo direct debit :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7174760.stm

haha this didnt surprise me, i love jeremy clarkson, and how many more times is he going to be made to eat his words i wonder lol
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    DGJsaver wrote: »

Look up AUDDIS - it's the automated DD setup that most large companies use.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure