Real-life MMD: Should I pay to see my girlfriend?

Comments

• lorena
    lorena Posts: 32 Forumite
    My boyfriend and I are from opposite ends of the country. We live together now but there was a point last year where my Friday nights were spent at an airport, either waiting for him or waiting to get on a flight to London. I was unemployed for a few months and he was working. He paid for a few flights, he offered though - I didn't ask him to. We always managed to find cheap flights and I scraped together what money I could for trains/planes etc and if he paid for flights I would pay for food etc.
    I'd be really annoyed if my bf had said to me 'I'll come and see you but only if you pay half for it'. If you love each other then you'll find a way to make it work. Maybe see each other every 2 weeks if money is tight.
  • leoncub
    leoncub Posts: 10 Forumite
    Whilst I do agree with the general consensus here (if it's real love, cost shouldn't be an issue), I do wonder what the response would have been if the person asking the MMD question here was a woman rather than a man?

I can't help but notice a lot of harsh comments such as "man up", "if you don't visit her, there'll be plenty of other blokes to take your place", "let her breathe", "you're only visiting for sex", etc. I do think things would have been put to the questioner a lot more sympathetically if they were female.
  • TopQuark
    TopQuark Posts: 451 Forumite
    lorena wrote: »
    My boyfriend and I are from opposite ends of the country. We live together now but there was a point last year where my Friday nights were spent at an airport, either waiting for him or waiting to get on a flight to London.

Yes, I understand this feeling. My partner is French and we met when we both worked in the Philippines. He then returned to France and I stayed on before returning to the UK. He eventually moved to the UK but then lost his job and relocated to Switzerland. Two years later I joined him and we're both here now. We've spent thousands of pounds traveling around the world to see each other. If it's meant to be, you just get on with it. C'est la vie!
    Remember Occam's Razor - the simplest explanation is usually the right one. :)

32 and mortgage-free :D
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    If it's a really serious relationship which you think will last the test of time you may have to agree to limit your visits but both of you should investigate other options like using Skype to keep in touch, and advertising locally at both ends for car lifts or petrol sharing schemes to reduce travelling costs.
  • hummingbird
    hummingbird Posts: 1,522 Forumite
    Hi, you don't say how far apart you actually are - my boyfriend is living and working overseas at the moment - I last saw him at the end of August and I won't see him again til Christmas!

I would say cut down the visits to every other weekend, also perhaps she can come to see you once a month or so instead of you always doing all the travelling.

I would just say, it will probably be a test of your relationship!! You don't say how long you've been together or how serious the relationship is - all these things make a difference.

Hummingbird ;)
    £10 a day extra in May '18[B]£35/310[
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £500/£2500 = 20%
    You can find my diary here:http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5189836:beer:
  • lutzi1
    lutzi1 Posts: 2,703 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry to be harsh, but on the basis of this posting she's better off without you.
    Hope is not a strategy.
  • Isn't one, as far as I can see. When I was first going out with my (now ex) husband, I came down from London nearly every weekend to see him. Wouldn't have crossed my mind to get him to pay/contribute to my fare, even though he earnt loads more than me.

Mind you it never occured to him to offer, either. Partly explains why he's my ex!

Go once a month and do something else the other weekends - that way you'll have more to talk about when you do meet up.
  • Some things are priceless, people in a loving relationship is and they would't consider the cost, and if it was a problem they would find other ways to communicate in this day and age.

If you don't want to pay then this relationship is going nowhere and you best broach that subject first. The fact she is studying now will open up many avenues, you may soon be part of an old life.

If it's worth hanging onto you wouldn't be asking the question about money.
  • my partner lives in the north of England, I live in Sardinia, two isolated areas in their own way. We both have an income albeit mine steadier and enough for me to live, travel to the US every couple of years to see family and of course spend my holidays in England. He can travel more often and - depending on the availability of cheap flights and cheap coaches/trains - comes to see me every month or every couple of months...with this regime it would be impossible not to share travel expenses, and everything else for that matter....the only thing we don't share are the house bills, neither here nor there, as we see each other for two-week spells or maximum for a month in summer....managing our expenses this way has helped us maintain a very long and tricky distance relationship alive and kicking for 4-years and more....in my opinion traveling expenses are different from getting treated to a night out or receiving an impromptu present...which is always very pleasant indeed!
  • My boyfriend is a student and I work, I am better off than him but not by much. Up until recently, we lived about 180 miles apart, it took 3-4 hours to drive or 7-9 hours on public transport. Because I could drive and the fact that work often took me close to home I asked that he simply committed to seeing me once a month/6 weeks and I would go to see him the rest of the time. For me it was the fact that he was willing to make that commitment to keep up our relationship even though it meant a full day of travel that meant I was happy to pay to go see him.

Perhaps you should clarify how often she plans on returning home and see if you can get her to commit to coming back occasionally to see you. And just a passing observation, the 5 years that I was a student (working part time) saw me with much more disposable income than when I first started working!!
    Save £12k in 2017 / Dec 2017 Travel Cash = £12,400 / £14,000 88.5%[/COLOR]

House Deposit = £20,500 / £18,000:money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family