Packaged account mis-selling victims can claim compensation

Options

Comments

• iesous23
    iesous23 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I currently pay for my hsbc advanced account, i have no problems paying and i will say that when i did enquire about it, the staff explained everything to me in detail, i was also pushed very hard by lloyds to open a packaged account with them, they did try very hard even when i flat out said no they carried on.

The thing i am going to say is that i think a lot of people nowadays know what they are signing up for, they just have no interest in spending ages in the bank and ignore bits of it. I've seen it before and then they complain because they want something for nothing. Nearly all people know what they pay for, shame that so many people will see they can make money from this and jump on the "i got mis-sold the account" bandwagon
  • rockitup
    rockitup Posts: 677 Forumite
    Options
    iesous23 wrote: »
    I currently pay for my hsbc advanced account, i have no problems paying and i will say that when i did enquire about it, the staff explained everything to me in detail, i was also pushed very hard by lloyds to open a packaged account with them, they did try very hard even when i flat out said no they carried on.

The thing i am going to say is that i think a lot of people nowadays know what they are signing up for, they just have no interest in spending ages in the bank and ignore bits of it. I've seen it before and then they complain because they want something for nothing. Nearly all people know what they pay for, shame that so many people will see they can make money from this and jump on the "i got mis-sold the account" bandwagon

Sounds like you're happy to pay for the insurance element sold with packaged account "benefits"

No way should packaged accounts be forced onto customers, we are not asking for "something for nothing". It is the banks getting "something for nothing" by using our deposits (earning a miserly rate of interest) to lend out or invest with

I have no problems with the bank using our money to make money, that's business. But I do have a problem with all the BS so-called benefit package they force on us.

If a customer wants to pay for all that, fine but let them just ask for it. Travel insurance policies and the like can be bought much cheaper elsewhere if you don't have to fund the huge amounts of commission the banks make when selling these.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 2,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    HJA wrote: »
    I was switched to advantage gold after i graduated in 1999 and didn't realise that I had to pay for it until about 6 yrs into it

Sorry to sound heartless, but you didn't read ANY bank statements between 1999 and 2005? Not even one? The fee is clearly detailed on the first page every month as "There are charges on your account. These are detailed below, and will be taken on [X date] this month."
  • Shirleyk
    Shirleyk Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    I contacted Lloyds in January about this. I heard nothing so I followed it up with another letter. I then received a letter rejecting my claim but was advised to contact them again if I had further information. Since the person who handled my complaint completely mis-read what I had written and did not address any of the points, I telephoned the number given and spoke to someone. He assured me that he would pass it to his colleague. I then followed it up with a letter. This was in February and I've heard nothing since so I have now sent my complaint to the FOS. I doubt if they will come back to me anytime soon due to the large number of PPI claims being received by them. Given that I did not ask for the account, was told that my account was changing and then the payments rose from £8 to £25. I then learnt that I should not have been told that I had to take on the Gold then Premier Account with them. None of the services provided by this "expensive" account were of any use to me. I will update you if I ever get a satisfactory response or a conclusion.
  • hollow333
    Options
    Hi there, I am looking for a little advice.
    I too feel I was miss sold my Advantage Gold Account. Mine was done in branch back in the late 90's, I had my meeting with the branch Manager to talk about a loan when I left the bank, I had a loan,Credit Card and an upgraded Bank account? I really needed the loan to consolidate other cards and I think the Manager took advantage of this fact for over 15 years I have been paying for this account and have not used any of the benefits that apparently come with it?

Does anyone think I have any recourse to this?
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    hollow333 wrote: »
    Hi there, I am looking for a little advice.
    I too feel I was miss sold my Advantage Gold Account. Mine was done in branch back in the late 90's, I had my meeting with the branch Manager to talk about a loan when I left the bank, I had a loan,Credit Card and an upgraded Bank account? I really needed the loan to consolidate other cards and I think the Manager took advantage of this fact for over 15 years I have been paying for this account and have not used any of the benefits that apparently come with it?

My honest view is: For over a decade you had a monthly charge made to your bank account. Why have you waited until now to ask?
  • hollow333
    Options
    I think it is like most things with banks, it is only now coming to light that banks used quite hard sell tactics. Since a child I was always brought up to believe that bank managers were trustworthy members of society, this was not a sales person, I made an appointment with the branch manager to discuss a loan not apply for a credit card or apply to have my free account upgraded, these were sold as being necessary for the loan to be granted and now as it transpires they were not necessary they were sold for the sole purpose of making profit for the organisation. She took advantage of my fear of the loan not being granted.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hollow333 wrote: »
    Mine was done in branch back in the late 90's, I had my meeting with the branch Manager to talk about a loan when I left the bank,

If I read this correctly, you were working for the bank when sold these accounts? If so, that fact together with the time that has elapsed is certainly going to work against you, unless you worked in a non-financial role.
  • hollow333
    Options
    Sorry pmduk when I said "left the bank" I meant walked out the branch.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK, I knew you remained a customer so employment was the only meaning of left I thought appropriate!

People need to know that all bank staff nowadays are salespeople. They aren't authorised to give financial advice, but when they spend 15-20 minutes telling yuou how you need a product it is disingenuous for banks to then hide behind a form saying you've not had advice from them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure