mercedes c class diesel whats the difference?

2»

Comments

• AdrianHi
    AdrianHi Posts: 2,228 Forumite
    Thanks folks, I have looked at the Audi A4 and the BMW 3 series but the Merc is winning at the moment. Any others you all think may be worth a look befor I commit myself?

Question marks over reliability aside I see the Merc. C Class as the top choice among these if you a) want an automtic and b) want good ride quality
    The A4 wins on styling inside and out and quality of materials
    The 3 series wins on engines, refinement and handling (in in this regard nothing else comes close)

Others to consider would be Lexus IS220d, Honda Accord 2.2CDTi (the most refined 4 cylinder diesel going until the Subaru Legacy Boxer Diesel's arrival in the last couple of months). You might be able to find a nearly new (new shape) Ford Mondeo in this price range, too impressive to ignore these days. Also a nearly new (again new shape) Mazda 6 should be available for similar money to this age of C Class. Lastly the larger VW Passat might be worth a look, but if you've already turned down the A4 I guess this one would be out too.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There's a growing rate of auto gearbox problems on post 2001 gearboxes. Most autobox engineers have never been busier.
    The man without a signature.
  • AdrianHi
    vikingaero wrote: »
    There's a growing rate of auto gearbox problems on post 2001 gearboxes. Most autobox engineers have never been busier.

Oh dear, and the C Class is difficult to drive as a manual because operating the parking brake requires the use of your left foot as it is a pedal to the left of the clutch. Hill starts are interesting, use your left foot to disengage the brake at the same time as using your left foot to release the clutch ..... doesn't work.
    The later models of this car had a solution, so if buying manual make you you get this.
    The following article is a useful read on this point:
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/?id=282
  • newsseller12
    newsseller12 Posts: 172 Forumite
    Well folks, Have just driven a c200cdi auto today (05 plate) and to be honest was a little dissapointed,(Noisy, Gutless to say the least!) so then tried a passat Tdi and was very impressed so back to the drawing board maybe?
    Time for a rethink? I have not driven the Audi but was put off by its looks more than anything might have a rethink.
  • rust,electrical faults,poor interior trim quality.
    engines still good though.

get one of them french cars
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    I drive a C220cdi automatic (51 plate) and have a great deal of pleasure driving it since I bought it new. I get 65 mpg on motorway driving and 45 mpg combined, it is faster off the mark than some smaller cars I have driven and never lets me down when I want to nip passed someone at 65-70. I had it on a race track once to find a top speed and bottled it at 105.

The only problems I have had are quick wearing brakes and for some reason I seem to go through a lot of sidelight bulbs.
  • AdrianHi
    Well folks, Have just driven a c200cdi auto today (05 plate) and to be honest was a little dissapointed,(Noisy, Gutless to say the least!) so then tried a passat Tdi and was very impressed so back to the drawing board maybe?
    Time for a rethink? I have not driven the Audi but was put off by its looks more than anything might have a rethink.
    Go on, just for me ;), try a new shape BMW 320d SE 05 to 55 plate should fit the budget you seem to have.
    Compared the the C Class it's much quicker (than even the 220), quieter all round and offers genuine sports car handling on a twisty road, puts a smile on my face every time I drive it even after 35,000 miles and 32 months of ownership. Also much lower servicing costs than you might think. I have spend under £250 since new on servicing and £400 on one set of tyres (run-flats are a bit more expensive).
    The only thing I can think of that might put you off is the ride is a bit on the firm side and the styling / image is not everyone's cup of tea.

On average I get 46mpg (measured properly, not OBC reading) and can get 50-55mpg+ on a long run. I'm very sceptical that any diesel car of this size and power really gets 65mpg at motorways speeds over a trip unless it's all down hill or something. That is until we start considering Sept. 2007 onwards BMW efficient dynamics cars where a 318d will get that kind of figure.
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    get one of them french cars

i know, my girlfriend has a 206,it suffers from all, except rust, well yet any way.
    ...work permit granted!
  • M
    vikingaero wrote: »

Most of which are down to the Valeo radiator, and would most likely be not applicable to this model. In any case its the TC that needs replacing, not the gearbox, and its done under warranty as its a design fault.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure