mercedes c class diesel whats the difference?

Does anyone know what the difference is between the mercedes c200 cdi and the c220 cdi?

Comments

• anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    C200 is the crippled version of the c220. Both same engines, but crippled version means they can fill the lower market and increase the relative price of the better models.

From http://www.tiscali.co.uk/motoring/diesel/diesel-mercedes-c220cdisportest/2
    When choosing from the three diesel options, it's not difficult: the entry-choice C200 CDI has the same 2,148cc engine as the C220 but delivers an adequate 136hp against the latter's beefier 170hp.

Are you sure a Merc is what you want though? It has been noted by many people that quality of more recent mercs has gone down hill. Not sure if that still applies to the absolute newest models, but with everything I've heard, Mercedes wouldn't be my first choice.
  • The new C Class is superb and bears no relation to any of the build issues some drivers experienced on the old model. It looks great and is flying off the shelves. The C220 engine is simply a 170hp version of the same 2148cc' kit, the standard C200 gives 136hp. Company car drivers tend to go for the C200 based on purchase price but if you want some 'oomph' and do some heavy mileage get the C220. Both rate their fuel cycle (combined) as 47.9mpg but the co2 emissions on a manual are 156 g/km and 173g/km on an automatic. The Sport spec' is the best seller so far (on our records at least), closely followed by Elegance.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of DealDrivers. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to abuse@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    We don't touch them at our garage! Very hateful things. Yet I know other people who swear by them.

I'd rather stock up with A4, 3 Series, Accord, S60, 9-3's to cover that section of the small exec market...
  • newsseller12
    newsseller12 Posts: 172 Forumite
    Im looking at a 54 or 55 plate "facelift" model, what are the common problems with these? has anyone had one?
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    The common problem I find with Mercs is the plonker behind the steering wheel.;)
  • Im looking at a 54 or 55 plate "facelift" model, what are the common problems with these? has anyone had one?

Check this website www.whatcar.co.uk and this one www.honestjohn.co.uk but don't forget this one www.parkers.co.uk

Good luck
    Be nice, life is too short to be anything else.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    anewman wrote: »

Are you sure a Merc is what you want though? It has been noted by many people that quality of more recent mercs has gone down hill. Not sure if that still applies to the absolute newest models, but with everything I've heard, Mercedes wouldn't be my first choice.

This was true from about 1994/5 when the accountants took control and decided that the Mercedes was "over engineered". From my reading recently they are supposed to be heading back to the days of superior build and reliability.
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    Im looking at a 54 or 55 plate "facelift" model, what are the common problems with these? has anyone had one?

rust,electrical faults,poor interior trim quality.
    engines still good though.
    ...work permit granted!
  • AdrianHi
    AdrianHi Posts: 2,228 Forumite
    One of my clients got a deal on a new one of the outgoing model, i.e. the one your thinking of.
    When it was two weeks old, on the motorway, he completely lost all power to the brakes, as in no foot brake at all :eek:
    He managed to stop the car using the parking brake.
    The Mercedes dealer had all the parts in stock to make the repair, they had seen the problem before.
    In a world of just in time delivery and having to wait for most parts to be ordered in you do have to wonder when a dealer holds in stock parts which fix complete brake failure.
    I find it hard to get a warm feeling about the prospect of modern Mercedes ownership.
  • newsseller12
    newsseller12 Posts: 172 Forumite
    Thanks folks, I have looked at the Audi A4 and the BMW 3 series but the Merc is winning at the moment. Any others you all think may be worth a look befor I commit myself?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure